Pellet Rifles

Started by JohnP, October 01, 2013, 01:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Anybody have and experience with these rifles:

Gamo Bone Collector - $188.
Gamo Silent Cat - $148.
Benjamin Genesis $198.  Has an exchangeable barrel, .177 or .22

Both of the Gamo's are suppressed and come with a Gamo scope.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

John,

I can't provide you with any info on those particular air rifles...

The way to go is with a Pre Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifle.  Myself and Jim (Frogman) have Benjamin Marauders.  I have a .22 caliber, I believe Jim has a .25 caliber.  These rifles have a air tank built within, that you either fill with a high pressure hand pump.  Or a scuba tank.  Once filled to 3000PSI, I get about 40 shots at just under 900 Fps.  Terribly accurate, and very quiet, due to a shrouded barrel.  Benjamin makes a lower cost version called the "Discovery" that folks are very pleased with.  The only drawback with the Discovery is that it does not have a shrouded barrel, and is more noisy than the Marauder.  The Discovery only has to be pumped up to 2000 PSI, and is a single shot (comes ineither .22 or .177).

The problem with break barrel airguns is that everyone is trying for speed.  With a pellet, once you approach the speed of sound, they loose accuracy.  The pellets tend to de-stabilize in flight.
I have a Gamo break barrel .177 caliber.  It came with a scope as a package deal.  Mediocre accuracy at 20 yards with the 4x scope on it.  Oh yeah, break barrels (because of the spring action) destroy scopes.  So only get a scope that is Springer durable. 
Check out www.pyramidair.com   or www.airgunsofarizona.com

Here's an example of a package deal on the Discovery
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Discovery_Rifle_and_Pump/2803?ab=1

Here's an example of a package deal on the Marauder:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/3622?ab=1

I'm sure Airguns of Arizona has the same offerings, and may be in your area?  Regardless, both sites have a wealth of information and videos.  They do reviews of basically all the air guns.

Hope this helps.  If you need any advice, give me a holler.  I was one of those folks that sat on the fence in regards to PCP air guns.  All I can say is "Holy Smokes!" once I shot my Marauder.  Dave has warned me not to bring it down do his house and let Dante shoot it.  Because he knows once he does, that's all he's going to want. -I'll take it down there on my very next trip. :eyebrow: 

HuntnCarve
Dave

HuntnCarve

nastygunz

i wing shoot crows with mine ;)

JohnP

Thanks for the info guys.  I'm just not sure I want to spend that kind of money for something I'll only kill pigeons with.  If I was still on the mountain I would probably get one as there was a wide choice of targets.  Here in the city I am rather limited.   
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Some of these airguns today have far surpassed what we all know...or should I say "knew" as air guns. I hope to own one too............some day.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

No experience with those John. But I had a Crossman 22cal pump when I was a kid.
1000fps & kicked butt on the small critters. If I were to buy an air rifle today. I would opt for atleast 1000fps or faster.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"