• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

.17 HMR vs. 22 WMR vs. .22 LR

Started by arse, December 07, 2007, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arse

I am looking to pick up a rimfire rifle for yotes.  My primary is a .223 Savage Model 10 Predator but for LBL any other time then Feb.  I need a rimfire. I am considering a couple of different options and would like some input from the forum.

What is the consensus on .17 HMR vs. .22 WMR vs. .22 LR?  I am leaning toward .22 WMR for bullet weight on yotes.  My interest in .17 is that I have an Encore Pro Hunter and they make a 28" barrel for the gun.  Can pick up for $240 but it is only single shot.  I am looking at a Marlin in .22 WMR.  That is debate.

I have seen some Rem. with semi-auto .17 and .22 WMR-  They seem idea but I wonder about accuracy considering shot placement with a light round will be critical.  But if you miss you can just keep pulling.  I have seen some 10/22's converted to either and would consider those but they are awfully expensive.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.  Also, .22LR are abundant are they a possibility for a yote with the right round in the conditions found in ground like the LBL.  No long open shots where I hunt at. 

Look forward to learning from all of your experiences. :confused:

FOsteology

.22WMR loaded up with Winchester Super-X 40gr. JHP would be the way I'd roll....

HaMeR

22WMR also. The CCI 40gr Maxi Mags are hard hitters too!! :biggrin:

The Marlin 983 has a 12 shot tube fed mag. I used mine today for coon calling & it empties & loads easily.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Personally, if the cover is close I'd be toten a 3 1/2" shotgun for coyote. :shrug:

Where bond by the lunacy of the rimfire law for coyotes I'd go w/ an accurate 22caliber & take head shots. THe Win' 40gr JHP like FOS mention is a real slammmer, but would avoid vital shots. You aren't hunting little sissy western coyotes. The Eastern coyote is believed to have wolf blood, Rotwellier, & possablily in their linage a wayward Wooly Mammoth somewhere. :huh:  They're nasty animals & you're going after 'em w/ a rimfire? :doh2: Your DNR don't like you. :readthis:
I know Grizzlys have met their Maker by way of a 22lr, but if you think you're hunting bear w/ one you'll be hunting alone! :nofgr: I ain't gonna be there! :noway:

Here is a new loading from Hornady for the 22Mag ...
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=757

finhunter

I have the Marlin V17 17 HMR and it is fun to shoot. I have never shot a fox or coyote with it, but from what I've read here on the boards, it doesn't do too well with the 17gr or 20gr bullet on yotes and foxes. I've been toying with the thoughts of modifying some rounds with a 25 grain bullet :wo:. This was done by the originators of the 17 HMR. They achieved velocities of around 2150fps if my memory serves me correctly. Of course they don't recommend removing the bullets from live rimfire ammo   :nofgr:, but I always did live a little dangerously  :biggrin:
FinHunter

" I've spent most of my life hunting and fishing. The rest of the time was just wasted."

DGF

I have A Marlin 25 MN in 22 mag and have shot quite a few coyotes at LBL wtih it. It will do the job but like in bow hunting you have to make sure of your shot.

cb223

Quote from: finhunter on December 08, 2007, 04:37:25 PM
I have the Marlin V17 17 HMR and it is fun to shoot. I have never shot a fox or coyote with it, but from what I've read here on the boards, it doesn't do too well with the 17gr or 20gr bullet on yotes and foxes. I've been toying with the thoughts of modifying some rounds with a 25 grain bullet :wo:. This was done by the originators of the 17 HMR. They achieved velocities of around 2150fps if my memory serves me correctly. Of course they don't recommend removing the bullets from live rimfire ammo   :nofgr:, but I always did live a little dangerously  :biggrin:

I'd like to know more about this. Where do I find info?
CHAD

HuntnCarve

After my last fox hunting episode with my .17 HMR and the 17g bullets a few weeks back, I went back to my .22 magnum on the next hunt.  I got this red at 35 yards using the Winchester 34g Supreme jacketed hollowpoints.  Hit him square on the chest. DRT!  I'm back to using my .22 magnum for the rimfire areas.

KySongDog

Ridge Runner

like I said before I know nothing about yote hunting, however have taken alot of fox years back when ya made money at it, I also hunt turkeys with a rifle in the fall. Now a gobbler weighs in at 22 pounds in the fall season, the best luck I've had anchoring them is with the 22 wmr and the fed. 50 gr hp's. and have took a ton of grays and reds with that load.

wow, hunt'n, thats a little red, must be young of the year, for years when the market was good I fox hunted  hard, took alot of grays and reds (the reds were worth more but the grays were more fun) and reds here averaged 12 pounds grays averaged 9.
RR

finhunter

Quote from: Semp on December 08, 2007, 10:07:31 PM
Nice avatar, finhunter.   :innocentwhistle:

Oh Man! Sorry about that, I'll find another.
FinHunter

" I've spent most of my life hunting and fishing. The rest of the time was just wasted."

finhunter

Quote from: cb223 on December 08, 2007, 09:05:01 PM
Quote from: finhunter on December 08, 2007, 04:37:25 PM

I'd like to know more about this. Where do I find info?

I searched around and found the article again. Here it is:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/17_hmr_0508/

Here's an excerpt from the article:
A LITTLE .17 RIMFIRE HISTORY
Development of the ammunition has been a long process. If you're a longtime reader of Shooting Times, you may already be experiencing deja-vu. If you've kept your back issues, take a look at the January 1992 issue for an article called the "Revolutionary .17 Rimfire." In that article I outlined experiments by Steve Chernicky, Terry Kopp, W.A. Eichelberger, A.J. Jones, Fred Wood, and others who have worked on various versions of small caliber rimfires. Shooting Times technical staff member Kopp's round was called the .17 KRM. It fired a 25-grain bullet at 2100 to 2400 fps that was intended to duplicate the performance of the defunct 5mm Remington Magnum. It did so nicely--and then some. Chernicky, on the other hand, went all out for velocity, pushing the limit and eventually getting 2700 fps with lighter 20-grain bullets.

Chernicky had so worked out things to the point that everything went smoothly. The actions had first-class rebarrelings, and the handloads were carefully assembled to .01 grain of powder. With velocity results like that a whole lot of people in the industry were excited about the prospects. I figured it was just a matter of finalizing R&D before we saw ammunition from a major company.
FinHunter

Grouser

I'm using the .22 WRM with the 40 grain Winchester HP, the .17 is a great shooter, but I prefer the bigger bullet. But then I tried the 50 grain HP from Federal and didn't see a big difference on the few coyotes that I shot with so I went back to the 40 grain because of the increased speed.

The game law in TN makes us use a rimfire or a shotgun, and on most stands it is a shotgun and a 22 mag, still the 22 mag has to be placed in the vitals without going through any large bones, I don't try the head shots and wait for the broadside or quartering away.

good luck!

Jimmie in Ky

I would go with the marlin and win 40 grain jhp. Mine shoots a 3/4 inch group at 100 with this round. Tried some of the lighter bullets that should have worked and were extrememly accurate, and they failed miserably.Your still ging to have some run with this round but rarely more than eighty yards if you do your job. Jimmie

Buckrun

I LOVE my .17 HMR! But it's not a coyote round. I have seen quite a few coyotes taken with the .22 mag on the videos. That is what I would use.

Steve

fuzz624

Well,as for your rifle picks,Marlin is hard to beat in a rimfire.They are a fairly cheap little gun that always seam to impress me.For the caliber choice,the old 22 WMR is a hard one to beat.It doesnt shoot as flat as the 17 but it hits alote harder.Good luck

Fuzz

securpro

I have been pondering the same ? :confused: , I have a Marlin tube fed 22mag now and love it but I am waiting on magnum research to release their Magnum Lite in 22 mag. I will probably settle on that one even though its on the expensive side its a damn fine rifle.  Then again a full auto 22lr would be a hoot. :eyebrow:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro