• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What about a 22 pistol?

Started by LBLDOG, December 29, 2007, 07:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBLDOG

Im wanting to buy a 22 pistol.I know everybody says Ruger mark 2 , but I really wonder what else would be dependable besides the Ruger? I was really pumped up about the Walther P-22 but I read some reviews of lots of gun jams. I would really appreciate  your suggestions? :wo:

vvarmitr

Ruger MkII? :confused:
Not to many people I know shoot the MkII for target. :noway:

I have a Browning Buckmak that I use to think I was hot stuff w/.  Then my Buddie, Flint, picked up a High Standard "Victor". :shck:  Holyhoppinhymnal! What a shooter! :shck:  We'd hit 8 outta 10 golf balls at 80yds.  :eyebrow:  Needless to say I own it now.  :yahoo: 

What are you wanting to do w/ it?  :shrug:

See it works!  :sneer:

studabaka

I've got a Walther for the trap line. Haven't had any jams, but it comes std with 3" barrel and regs here require 5.5" for hunting. Works great for the line, but I'm only marginally consistent in my plinking, so not sure it would be the best choice..... course that could be user error  :holdon:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

cb223

A Ruger 22/45 was my choice because it has the same controls and grip angle of my .45.
It is reliable. Is it a target gun? Probably not but it does what I want it to do.

When someone asks "Which hand gun should I get?" That is a tough question to answer. It depends how it is going to be used .

At the gun club I see quite a few different guns. Buckmark's and .45's with .22 conversions are the most popular here with the Rugers a close second. They are also relatively cheap so maybe that's why they are so popular.
CHAD

Hawks Feather

I will preface this with the statement that you will likely get a variety of likes/dislikes on a post like this.  One person will have good luck with __________ (fill in the blank with any gun) and another person will have had a problem with it.  Possibly one cleaned their gun and the other didn't - who knows.

I guess I am a little like the rest and could use some additional information before making too many suggestions.  Are you looking for (I hate to say this but) "just a reliable fun pistol" or do you have specific plans for it?  Another thing that will help is if you have an approximate price range.  If you are planning to shoot target and price is not a problem there are several VERY good pistols out there.  If you might want to shoot some target and price is sort of a problem you can look at the High Standard Victor.  I have the Victor model 9217 with a solid rib that I paid a guy just want he wanted for the gun many years ago and that was $300.  It is now in the $700 range and I wouldn't even think of selling it for that.  If you are looking for a good "plinking" pistol that can be upgraded to target quality as funds become available, I would go with the Ruger.  I have a Mark I that has had an aftermarket barrel and trigger work done on it that shoots very well.  I also have a Ruger Slabside (MK678G) that I have a Red Dot sight on (that has only had a replacement trigger put in) which also shoots good enough to get squirrel heads at 40 yards.  You might be able to pick up one of these in the $350 range.  And if you are planning to only use it to put down animals on your trap line, you can get about anything since accuracy will not be your main concern.

Give us some more information and we will see what we can all come up with for you.   :biggrin:  I love spending someone else's money.

securpro

LBLDOG , I can only express my opinion on the Ruger Mark II . I have had my Ruger Mark II for about fifteen years and am very happy with it . it is the 4 1/2 in tapered barrel stainless version. I can honestly say that if I use cheap ammo in it that it shoots like chit and constantly jams (what you would find in a 500 round box). On the other hand if I shoot good ammo like CCI Stingers its a hole other ballgame, :shrug: no jams and very accurate even at 100yrds.  :shck: sounds crazy but its true. also its very easy to clean even though I usually dont until I have to. Overall I would suggest this gun to anyone who wants good shooting pistol for all purposes. I will be bringing it with me to LBL at the end of the month if you want to try it out. 
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

LBLDOG

thanks for all the info .IM going to check out some these guns on-line .  I just want something to have a little fun with maybe shoot at  tree rats  :laf:  , or carry with me when my buddy runs his trap line.  Im in the 250.oo - 300.oo  range. I dont really want to spend more than that because if I spent much more I would want a Spring Field Armory 40 cal. I have wanted one of these also.  Last year I was going to buy one and I said 40cal or new yote gun , so I bought a new Mossberg 535 camo Turkey gun with a tasco red dot instead.  thanks again guys for input !! :congrats: :congrats:

Buckrun

Well I have a Ruger MK II target that I have had for 25 years. It is a great gun. I have killed quit a few Squirrels with it. Hate to think how many 1000's of rounds that have went through this .22. If I had to do it ove I think I'd get a bull barrel. I don't think they had came out with the bull barrel yet in 1982.

I have a Browning Buckmark. Have had this one for about 6 years. Haven't shot it all that much. But it is a good gun that feels good in the hand.

I have the Walther P22. This one is only a couple years old. It is also a good shooter. I got it because it is smaller than the other two. It is handier to stick in my back pocket when working in the garden. It is also very accurate. I don't remember having any jams with it. Although I only have a couple hundred rounds through it.

If I had to pick only one to keep and get rid of the other two. I think right now I'd keep the Walther. Although I'd probably cry if it came down to that.

Steve

Buckrun

OH yea I just saw a lazor sight in a new Natcheze (sp?) catalog. It is made for the Walther and looks like mine will be wearing one of these real soon. I have never had a lazor sight for any of my guns. But it looks like it will look good on the Walther.

Steve

kiyitec

Heritage Rough Rider - 22 / 22 mag combo.
http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/
Mine was about $150 new.  Fun for the whole family to shoot. (until your 9yo daughter out shoots you  :shrug:
  If you're just going to kill some cans, or use it for dispatch on the line. . .  And you can even get Pink Mother of Pearl grips for it!  Had I been thinking I would have opted for the birds head grips to be more user friendly for the family, but I have never been accused of thinking.  That 32 mag looks like fun too!

I have never shot A scoped/sighted shortstick but if I bought one - that fluted SS ruger target(?) model .22 looks pretty bada$$.

The P-22 could have been A best seller if 99% of the owners didn't have problems with it, then post it all over the net!  :readthis:  It has the looks, name, and fan base  but I guess they came up way short!  The wife wanted one and I'm glad I waited.    ~KT

"DESIGNATED SITUATIONAL CALLER"
  Contact me for information on how to become one today, and see how easy it is to save money on guns & ammo.  List of references available upon request.

Buckrun

Humm I have never had a problem with mine. Now that I know that some are having problems I am probably jinxed. :doh2: Probably have no end of trouble now. May be I'll take it out tomorrow and shoot a couple mags thru it.

Steve

kiyitec

I think they switched out the mags w/ A modified one from Walther.  Think I read it was stamped with an "A" . . . maybe??
  Other than that I did see some of the first ones with peeling skins.  Mainly the carbon fiber print.  Here lately all the ones I have seen look good.  Let's not overlook the easy application of suppression.   :biggrin:
  ~KT
"DESIGNATED SITUATIONAL CALLER"
  Contact me for information on how to become one today, and see how easy it is to save money on guns & ammo.  List of references available upon request.

FOsteology

Ruger MKII over the Browning....

I've got the 5.5" Mark 2 and have shot chit loads of rounds through it over the last couple years. Shot the Buckmarks awhile too, but I've yet to see anything hold up to the rounds of non-cleaning and hitting chit that the Ruger does.

Had a Mark 3 for a few months and really liked it too, they finally put the mag release in the right place.  :eyebrownod:

KySongDog

I've got a Colt Woodsman, second series, that I've had since the Lord was a corporal.  50+ years ago.  My Dad gave it to me back when it wasn't politically incorrect to give a kid a gun.

A very nice shooter although I haven't fired it in years.

Semp

azfester

I use a Phoenix Arms hp22 to dispatch the yotes that are still fighting for that last breath.. I picked it up for about 130.00. Not the greatest gun in the world but it does its job!! I'm sure your probably looking for a higher end gun but that was my .02 on a pistol for dispatching yotes!

nastygunz

I like 6 shooters, but for .22 I have a s&w 6 shooter, high standard with red dot and ruger charger with scope...like handgun hunting, especially the squirrels.

Silencer

Hey gunz, I have a similar 6 shot S&W with a touch longer barrel my grandfather gave me years ago.  The pistol shoots great but the shooter ( myself ) is terrible with a leg iron .  I can shoot bow, rifle, trap, skeet and just about anything else.  Even a LAW or AT4 but I just cant shoot a pistol worth a darn.  If we were back in the western days, I'd have to use a coach gun  :laf:

nastygunz

hey silencer, yupp i hunt with a long bow also and i find they both require intense focus to hit anything :confused:...if you rush or get distracted, its all over. Gotta love those classy old S&W guns!

Silencer

Here's a pic of the one I have, needs to be re blued.  This thing has seen many a varmint at the end of a foothold.