• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

what about the v-max ?

Started by LBLDOG, May 20, 2008, 07:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBLDOG

I was just wanting to hear some input  on the knock down of the v-max , how big hole does the exit make? Im thinking about hunting with these and Im betting they have some power behind them? :yoyo:

HaMeR

Whatcha after with them?? On groundhogs they go in & do the nasty without exiting. And I do mean the nasty.  :biggrin: Like a chest full of organ soup.  :eyebrow: On coyotes they have performed from flawlessly to surface splashes with critter running off if a bone is hit. Sometimes a rib bone will make a huge but deadly splash shot. They aren't fur friendly enough for most of the furriers out there. If you wanna shoot p-dogs & ground squirrels they are hell on wheels.  :biggrin: They blow those small critters UP!! Sometimes into wee little bitty pieces.  :laf: :laf:

The V-Max was actually designed as I understand them to deposit as much energy as possible inside the intended victim with no pass thru. They are also very stable in flight & have a nice high Ballistic Coefficient.

If you could give us some more info on your intended quarry we could help you better.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

LBLDOG

im sorry hammer what was I thinking? Im going to hunt coyotes only with the ar-15 , I didnt realize I didnt leave enough info till I read your post!  Im shooting the 55 grain remington right now and when the season comes I was wondering about a little punch behind the shell , Ive also been researching black hills ammo. I have been hunting yotes for about 5 years now and this year Im trying a ar-15 instead of stricktly shotgun . I thought I would change it up a little this year

Frogman

I like the 60 grain V-Max for coyotes.  Here are a couple of photos of coyotes hit with the V-Max from an AR....

and one more from the LBL hunt this year:

Both were shot at about 35 yards.  First one spun around twice biting at his shoulder then went down.  The LBL female was a bang flop.  I did have a dog get away from a few weeks ago after I shot it with a 60 V-Max.  I took a bad shot and didn't get a good hit.  Didn't recover the coyote so I don't know what happened??

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

cb223

In my opinion, some might disagree the V-max is to lightly constructed for consistent kills on coyotes. I would you a little heavier constructed bullet.

They are very accurate out of my AR's but I only use them on woodchucks, crows and other small varmints. As HaMer said they are devastating on woodchucks!!!!
CHAD

DirtyDog

I have taken 3 yotes with mine.....22-250 with the 40 grain. The first one was a head on shot, while it was sitting down. I shot a bit low, and it absolutly destroyed its guts. It ran a bit, but then stopped. The next 2 were bang flops.

Carolina Coyote

I shoot a 243 wssm with 75 grain v-max and have killed several dogs and bcats with them , they are very accurate and deadly, exit wounds are usually large, Crows, water turtles, armidillo's explode on impact,. Shot placement is critical on Coyotes, I gut shot one last year :doh2: and blew his ass end off and he still got away but I'm sure he died, them criters are tough. cc

LBLDOG

thanks for the info from all you guys and thanks for the pics frogman :yoyo: