• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.243 Load

Started by straycat, November 30, 2006, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straycat

O.K. fellers,here's your chance................I've got 80 gr SP and some 75 gr VMax,in bullets and IMR 4064, IMR 4895 and Varget in powder.
Let's hear some of your pet loads with these components. I'm leaning towards the 4064 and VMax but willing to try others.     
                   Thanks
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Hawks Feather

Nosler manual shows 42.0 grains of Varget as their most accurate powder tested.  Also show 3,616 feet per second, so it is flying.  Their ballistic tips should be close to your VMax.  I know that is not your powder but thought I would pass it along for consideration.

I have used IMR 4895 and shot 38.0 grains with 75 grain bullets and it worked pretty good.  I was shooting off a bench with a decent rest, but it would hold  1/2 inch groups.  I then got started using 4320 and have used it for the past several years.  They group around 3/8  inch and I can occasionally get a 1/4 inch group.  I have always shot at least 5 shots per group to see what the group is doing.  The 4895 and 4320 was used in a post 70 Winchester.  I also picked up a Savage a couple of years back and have only used 4320 in it. 

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Ladobe

I've had good luck with Varget myself in the 243.   Not as fond of them since they got so proud of them, but still have a good supply of NBT's I shoot in my 6's.   Use 55/70 grain though since I use all mine for predators mostly.
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Arkyyoter

I shoot a 75 VMax w/ 39.5 grains of IMR 4064....COL 2.696.....that's my pet load....runs 3250-3320 in most all our .243s....shoots fantastic and is instant death to yotes with a decent hit.....

Joe

Jerry Hunsley

Quote from: straycat on November 30, 2006, 09:35:11 PM

O.K. fellers,here's your chance................I've got 80 gr SP and some 75 gr VMax,in bullets and IMR 4064, IMR 4895 and Varget in powder.
Let's hear some of your pet loads with these components. I'm leaning towards the 4064 and VMax but willing to try others.     
                   Thanks
Try some Varget with 70gr.ballistic tips. I use 41grs. year round. I found that works great in my gun so I didn't even try any other loads. It gets the job done with very little fur damage on good hits. You notice I said good hits. Gut shots are terrible!!!

Dogwood Creek

41 gr of Varget in my Savage mod 10 will put 75gr V-Maxs in a dime at 100 yds. I never tried anything else once I saw that. Varget has a big following in the factory class 100 and 200yd benchrest fraternity also. If you have it on hand, give it a try.

CCP

I love the varget powder also seems like I use it in everything I can. I Put powder in if primer pushes out while seating bullet then I back off 1 grain :roflmao: (just kidding) I used the same load as Arkyyoter But had a longer throat and stuck them out just a tad longer than he.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

pilot teacher

One of my pet loads is 46.5 gr RL15  Sierra 60 Gr. Hp. Win WLR primers, C.O.L. 2.6". Use at your own risk. No high pressure signs. Results will vary in different guns. Bought my 243 Savage Model 11 pckage at Wally World. Removed the scope and put on a BSA Platinum 12-32X Target Scope.  This was a 3 shot group at 100 meters.

[/img]