• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Whats your best shot ever?

Started by FinsnFur, January 21, 2009, 10:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Whether hunting, or target shooting, what's the best shot you've ever made that amazed even you?

What made me think of this was, Bob Munden was on the Outdoor Channel tonight, Shooting USA's impossible shots, and he clamped a safety pin upright in a pair of vise grips and then just grazed the operational side of the pin so it would flip itself open.
It took him four tries but he did it. :biggrin: With a 45 auto

My wonder shot was with a rifle so it's not too special :innocentwhistle:

Let's hear yours :biggrin:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

Long range head shots......On many animals......my favorite one was a Squack at 125yds. in the head with a .22 I even called it to my buddy....before the shot. Hard to believe but true.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

possumal

412 yds on a coyote, who ran out of a thick pond bank ahead of me when I was on my way to my stand on the back of the farm. Quick decision, sat down, shooting sticks, judged the distance, and whap, DRT. Problem was he was one of two I have ever killed with mange.

As for distance and size of target being the main considerations, I killed a groundhog in 1964 from 565 big paces, actually about 520 yds as I didn't have a range finder then.  My late buddy, Ray Lunsford, was watching through a good spotter scope, and I was shooting a custom 264 Winchester Magnum with a 14 power Unertl Ultra Varminter scope, and it hit that thing right in the head with him standing up, and when I got to the spot, he was lying in the bottom of the hole with his head between his back legs like a ball.  I had shot once already and Ray said I hit right in front of him, and I allowed for it, and he said "I believe you killed that damned thing".  I said "No way" but he was correct.  I sure wish I had held on to that rifle, as it was custom built by renowned gunsmith Stewart Vaughn of Frankfort, and I put a Fajen custom stock that was semi inletted and I finished it while Stewart was building the rifle. Man that thing was heavy, but it would flat out shoot.  I sure do miss Stewart Vaughn, as he was one of the finest people ever to be on this earth and a great gunsmith.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Tikaani

I don't know about my best shot, but I did miss once.  I was squirrel hunting.  I remember that it was dusk and it was raining, the wind was blowing at twenty knots out of the west, the squirrel was jumping from branch to branch, he was heading into the wind.  My front sight post was bent, my glasses were fogged and I had to go to the bathroom. I jerked the trigger and hit him in the ass, I was really upset since I was aiming for his head.

Hunt hard, die tired

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

FinsnFur

Wind whipping, sites bent, glasses fogged, had to go to the bathroom :roflmao:

You were just having a real bad day weren't ya Tikaani :laf: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Silencer

I dont have the target anymore but I bet my son I'd cut the bullet hole that was in the target already with my .270 at 100 yrds and I did.
Once I pulled a robin hood with my bow trying to get a tight group.

LORDDAL

with a rifle my best to date on small game is 435 yards tagged a ghog centermass and sent him flippin on large game one a whitetail going full get out through thick brush my brother couldnt make the shot I knew I had him dead to rights as soon as my brother called no shot I tapped him right behind the ear at 110 yards end over end my brother was like HA you missed him I grinned and said yeah right be right back walked down and there he be.

pistol was 50yards totally blew the center out of a target full clip rapid fire made my nephew so mad ho wont shoot with me any more doesnt like getting shown up.

and best shot with a bow at 40 yards had a pepsi can laying on its side with the tab bent over the whole shot an arrow through the hole in the tab and can kept the arrow with the can still on it for years
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

pitw

I suppose the "one" that sticks out in my mind is the time I was over at a buddy's and the five of us were standing talking around my truck.  There was a 40 mph wind gusting and a crow landed in the top of a 50ft tall tree that was dead at the top.  I said that I would be able to hit it with my 22.  Big bud Dave say's 5 to 1 and I reply for $20 and he nods.  Now this crow was going back and forth at least 20 feet with the wind and was 110yds away.  I grabbed the old 10/22 and stood there looking at that crow thinking [stupid :doh2:] chances were about 1,000,000 to one.  I lined her up and touched it off, well that old crow did that roll around the branch while hanging on and tried to do it's best bat roosting impression for about 5 seconds before it fell straight down dead.  Dave with a look of disgust handed over 5 $20 bills while the other three guys laughed with more glee than kids at christmas.  The best part was that there was only the one crow so I didn't have to repeat the feat of marksmanship :yoyo:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

SCcoyotehunter

A good hunting buddy and i were pushing a ditch when a big 8 pointer came barreling out into the field. He had been laid up in there. He turned and started up the hill away from me over 100 yds. I shot one time and he ducked into the woods. Shot him right up the dairy-aire. Not a good shot to take but he was a good one. Found him 50 yds away.

Mallardsr

Well I have made a 400 yd shot w/sticks on a still and profiled coyote, Ive shot a coyote at a trot at 200 yds on a ridge line, but the hardest shot I have made was on a coyote running wide open crossing at an angle from left to right getting closer at 20yds. That is my nightmare shot, I am a right handed shooter and feel it is a very low percentage shot for me.

alscalls

I missed a yote at 4 steps at 2 am once without soiling my pants............ :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

Years ago I lived in Boone County WV.  When I graduated from college that was the first place to offer me a teaching job.  I bought a trailer there near an old abandoned drive in movie theater.  I used to shoot a lot out in that area.  Someone had left several coal core samples laying out there.  These were long rods of sandstone about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 15 to 20 feet long.  Some of them had areas of coal where they had struck it with the core driller.  These sections of coal would split through and make discs of coal about a 1/4 inch thick.  I would go out there and toss those core samples up in the air and break them with my Ruger 10-22.  Got pretty good at it.  There wasn't much entertainment in Boone county so I shot a lot and soon became known as a crack shot.  A friend of mine cahllenged me to try to hit one of the core samples with his muzzle loader.  I held the rifle and he tossed the core sample.  BOOM went the rifle, just before the smoke obcsured my view, I saw a black puff of coal dust.  My reputation grew.  

Another one of my buddies wanted to take me out to a remote old dump he knew about to do some shooting.  We had a great time throwing old bottles up in the air and breaking them with the 22.  My buddy bet me ten dollars that I couldn't throw a half bottle of old rotten ketchup with the lid still screwed on up and break it with one shot.  Ok I can do that.  So I held the rifle in my right hand and the bottle in my left.  Swung the bottle down then back up quickly to toss it up slightly in front of me.  Some how the bottle didn't leave my fingers at the proper place and instead of going up in front of me it went slightly behind me.  I threw it pretty hard and got good altitude, just a bad trajectory.  I had to lean backwards to track the bottle with the rifle.  I fired just as the bottle reached it's highest point and hung there for a second before it started the downward part of it's trajectory.  MISSED??  Fired again, MISSED??  Oh, Shit, my buddies new pick-up was parked there behind us.  Fired three more times, all misses.  The ketchup bottle impacted the front windshield of my friends pick-up dead center.  Rotten stinky ketchup and glass flew everywhere.  The windshield had numerous cracks radiating out from the impact point.  I think that was the best shot I ever made throwing a ketchup bottle!!  I couldn't have hit that windshield so perfectly if I tried a 1000 times.  I think a new windshield cost about 150 bucks back then.  Oouch????  That was quite a blow to my ego as well as to my wallet???  Since then I have learned not to brag too much about my phenomenal shooting abilities.  As soon as I do something like this happens!?!?

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

It be cool if we could put all these on video and create a 30 minute spot of Miracle Shots :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Huntinbull

Headshot/neckshot (base of skull sorta) on a fox squirrel at a ranged 83 yards with a Ruger 10-22 using cci Standard Velocity LRN 40 gr bullet. Made a pretty shot on a loping deer with my 30-30 several years ago. 3 shots in less than 3 seconds hit in a triangle about 2.5 inches to a side right behind the front leg, right before she piled into a tree.

Huntinbull
Huntinbull

Christian Outdoorsman. Certified Ohio Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed Instructor.

Hidehunter

170 yards,  320 lb black bear, running through a laural thicket with 2 Walker dogs behind him.  Had one open spot to shoot through and had to make a good shot for the safety of the dogs.  300 mag to the side of the head.  Rolled Him.
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Silencer

I've got a few birds 2 with 1 shot, but I think thats pretty common.   I witnessed my boy dump a crow 50+yds, told him it was too far and he'd never hit it, of course being a know it all teenager he had to prove me wrong  :laf:  It was flying as well, had to be that one miracle pellet  :eyebrownod:
Still dont know how the hell he pulled that off. 

FinsnFur

And he'll never let you forget it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

George Ackley

I once walked 9 shots from a REM 223 over 800 yard down a sandario to connect on the 10th shot on  35 LB javelina. i have it on video , just kept adjusting fire till I conected :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

i also shot a coyote that was inside a dead cows rib cage 333 yards with my 7 mag

offend thought  if some poor drunk Indian  found it would he think a cow eat a coyote when see seen the skeleton  of a coyote in side a cow skeleton  :confused: :roflmao: :laf: :eyebrownod:
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.