• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Whats your best shot ever?

Started by FinsnFur, January 21, 2009, 10:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

I was around 13 years old and didn't even have permission to take the 22 open sited rifle ground hog hunting,but
it was a beautiful summer day and all the farm work was caught up,and dad was at work at the brickyard.
We had just taken the hay off this field aweek before and I have been watching the ghogs playing around for
a couple days.I took the rifle and sat down in the middle of this field and started to watch the fence line after about 20 minutes this hog shows up,while moving into shooting position this hog takes off for the hole.I shoot and wait fer a minute or so then make the 80 yard walk to the hole to find the hog laying there with a hole in the side right behind the front shoulder.I remember this so well cause it was the first ghog I ever shot  :biggrin:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Is that when you were dating Diane, Bill? Cause she had a story just like that. :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

She never told me her dad worked at the brickyard  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

FinsnFur

I didnt say anything about incest, I said is that when you were dating her? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bills Custom Calls

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 01, 2009, 01:07:45 AM
incest,

Whats That  :laf:

Didn't know Diane when I was 13

Come to think of it she might have been 7 years old  :shrug: :nono:

Hawks Feather

After reading these I think my best shot was when I was about 13 or 14.  I had a BB gun and it was my (self appointed) job to rid the neighborhood of sparrows and starlings.  I was sighted in on a starling that was sitting on a line.  Just as I was ready to shoot the bird took off.  I thought what the heck and followed it with the barrel and let one fly.  Dang if I didn't hit it and down it came.  Now, while I think of this as my best shot, I know that it was noting but luck.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Jerry's lying, he's just trying to get us back on track :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Since when has there EVER been a track on these posts?   If I would have known that there was a track, I wouldn't have hijacked so many.   :sad:

Jerry

kiyitec

Hunting mice in the barn with A blowgun as A teenager('93).  A sparrow flew through the doors and headed to the rafters.  I took A passing shot at 15 yards and stuck him to the roof.  Total instinct.  I don't even remember it, just the before and after.  Same thing happened on my first yote.  Open site 30-30, passing, afterburners.  Head shot.  Luck?   ~KT
"DESIGNATED SITUATIONAL CALLER"
  Contact me for information on how to become one today, and see how easy it is to save money on guns & ammo.  List of references available upon request.

Ridge Runner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well about 8 years ago wv legalized the taking of deer off of bait during hunting season, I don't care much for it, I believe that it centralizes the deer activity, makes them more nocturnal and just pretty much alters the deers travel and feeding patterns which I have studied for 30-something years. The deer are still there but they're travel patterns have changed, as have the timing of they're travel.
So for the last several years I've been backing off! way off

I've been a rifle shooting ballistics nut for years, so I started delving into longer range capable rifles, finaly 3 years ago I went headlong into it, had a rifle built (2 actualy) for the specific task of harvesting deer at long range, talk about addicting!
My first year with the 7mm Allen mag wasn't too impressive I took whitetails at 375yds (headshot), 450, 475, 532, and 585 yards with no misses.

I continued to practice form and study ballistics and spent alot of time just dialing various ranges into my scope and seeing the results, wasn't real happy with the results, to 600 yards I was ok, but always seemed to be a bit high, so I studied some more and BINGO! found the problem, the published BC of most bullets are different from what you'll see in the field, after running a few tests and making adjustments, things were looking up

My next season, things seemed to get easier, opening morning the third shot at game from a new rifle bought this result

I went on to take deer at 502, 722, and 821 yards, I did have 2 misses due to scope adjustment errors, they were at 785, and 983 yards.
Prior to the '08 season I was regularly shooting 850 yards and was getting some impressive groups, to me anyways (5" range) As season went on, I was looking for a challenge, let alot of gimme shots go just because I knew without a doubt what the outcome would be, I can't describe how that kind of confidance feels.

Finaly the last day of deer season came around, and a friend told me to come out to his dad's farm and I could get the shot I was wanting, I was wanting to attempt a shot on a deer at beyond 1000 yards, just to see if my time and practice was working.
So I got there about 3:00 PM, the deer started showing in fields everywhere. The farthest field I could see held a few deer but I couldn't range them, I could range the one edge of the field at 1218 yards, the deer were over 100 yards beyond that, and had a bit of wind as well.
So there I was, unknown range, with a 2mph wind and permission to shoot, as I was trying to figure for a shot a crowd began to gather all in all 9 people had showed up, there was some prodding going on as to how in the heck can you figure you can hit a deer that far.
I explained to them that without a known range it would be pretty diffacult but it was possible, so I told them I would make my best guess, then before turning the rifle on the deer I would take a spotter shot or 2.
so I set my drops for 1300 yards, and a 1.5 mph left wind, 40 yards parralel to the target animal was a small patch of snow, about the size of a deers shoulder, held on it and sent a 160 nosler, impact was right at 2 moa low and just to the right, gave it 2 moa of up, 2 clicks left and sent another accubond, saw the bullet rip through the snow patch and immediately got on the target animal, told the guys watching that this was for all the marbles and sent another round, saw the bullet impact the does ribs and called the hit, the deer took 3-4 steps, and layed down to expire, we went up 20 min. later and put her on the truck, my final scope setting was for 1,350 yards this was from a ballistic program meticulously tuned to my rifle

Now before ya start flaming, let me say, its not that hard if you go about it right with a shooting system that is set up to do it properly, I'm the first to admit, I'm an average marksman, who knows alot about ballistics, if I can do it, anybody who wants to can also.
RR

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

And that doe was TINY!

When the martial law crap comes around, I want this guy on my team :yoyo:

Nice work Ridge Runner :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

wvhillbillyhowler

not a very good shot i miss at lest ten yotes a year best shot 249 after dark with my 204 close shot 3 yards shot gun miss that basterd to killed him at 190 with 204  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: