• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.356 winchester

Started by nor-cal yote, March 01, 2009, 10:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nor-cal yote

I picked this up a few weeks ago, dont know much about this caliber .356 winchester in the big bore 94 class.
this is the round next to a 223 round

any of you guys ever heard of the .356?
never yell whoa in a horse race

Frogman

nor-cal,

That's a nice rifle.  I had one in .375 Winchester I think.  Big Bore 94 carbine.  Mine had a straight wall case.  I killed a couple of whitetails with it.  I wish I still had it.  It had some great wood on it and a lyman receiver sight.  Shot real good but I wanted something different and sold it???  They don't make them anymore. 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Never heard of it, but that looks like the one you'll want when they start the government take over :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

Ya sure got me on that one.  :confused:   I thought you made a typo & meant  358Win. :doh2:
Winchester came up w/ this in 1980 & produced guns & ammo in 1983. At which time Marlin chambered their 336ER in that chambering also. Winchester made this & the 307Win for their new model 94XTR, a beefed up 94 w/ angle-eject.
Both the 307 & 356 are rimmed cartridges.  The 356 has enough umph to handle any animal in the continental US.
Winchester is still producing ammo, but are the only ones that I know of.

CAUTION:  :holdon: The 358Win. will chamber in the 356Win chamber & can be fired! Not a good idea! :nofgr:

Looks like a fun gun to me! :biggrin:

Hidehunter

Looks like a helluva brush gun to me
Denver                                           

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

5 SHOTS

Quote from: vvarmitr on March 02, 2009, 10:15:02 AM
Ya sure got me on that one.  :confused:   I thought you made a typo & meant  358Win. :doh2:
Winchester came up w/ this in 1980 & produced guns & ammo in 1983. At which time Marlin chambered their 336ER in that chambering also. Winchester made this & the 307Win for their new model 94XTR, a beefed up 94 w/ angle-eject.
Both the 307 & 356 are rimmed cartridges.  The 356 has enough umph to handle any animal in the continental US.
Winchester is still producing ammo, but are the only ones that I know of.

CAUTION:  :holdon: The 358Win. will chamber in the 356Win chamber & can be fired! Not a good idea! :nofgr:

Looks like a fun gun to me! :biggrin:

Sounds like you got the same book as me.  :biggrin:

Cartidges of The World          Very interesting book if you have any interest in guns.  :yoyo:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

nor-cal yote

Thanks for the info I don't own a 358 so I'm good for now, was going to use it for a pig gun but I just got word the forest service is reviewing my application for a job back in Montana, :yoyo: :yoyo: I hope I get it, I'm sick of California, and it would be great to be back in Montana with my family.

5 SHOTS

(Hijack in progress) What part of MT, probably out west right?

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

nor-cal yote

the job is in Helena, My parents live there, I spent most of my time in Judith Gap,Kalispell,and Helena. My ex-wife and daughter live in Ryegate

5 SHOTS

:pout: I was hoping for my area (Glendive).  We now return you to your regularly scheduled programing.  :biggrin:

vvarmitr

Quote from: 5 SHOTS on March 02, 2009, 01:04:08 PMCartridges of The World   
Yes, that is correct! :yahoo:
With that correct answer you win a chorus line of DANCING BANANAS!    :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Hit it girls. >>>>>
:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Another book you may find interesting is The Handloader's Manual Of Cartridge Conversions:readthis:

Nor-Cal: that oughta be awesome for pig hunting!  :thumb2:   Good choice!  :biggrin: