• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What a day

Started by Hawks Feather, July 25, 2009, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

Boy, oh boy, this has been a long day.  I went to the Tri-State gun show picnic with about 700 of my closest friends.  I got there about 11:00 a.m. and stood in a line about 100 yards long to get signed in.  I forgot to mention that when I got in line it was overcast, but about 5 minutes later it started raining â€" not that I melt, but it was coming down pretty good and I was sure that I would not win the wet T-shirt contest (since it wasn’t scheduled).  Then Whitehare, who is all hooded up in his raincoat, says that he has an umbrella in the car and offered to get it.  Since it seemed to be letting up a little I passed.  That lasted about another 5 minutes till it started coming down harder.  Hey, Richard, I think I am interested in that umbrella now.  So Richard, being the nice guy that he is, walked back to his car to get the umbrella.  The next 45 minutes in the rain were much nicer.  We finally made it to the check in table, gave our name, got our drawing ticket, our ice cream tickets, and most importantly our FOOD ticket.  From there it was a quick trip to the hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, and a few other things that I don’t eat.  So we were having a good time talking, eating, and decide to go watch the kids at the BB gun shoot.  We stood up and the rain came down harder and we made a wise decision â€" we sat back down inside the tent.

Then the drawing started.  We all sat there as names were read eagerly anticipating that the next name called would be one of us.  That is when it happened.  The man across the table from us said that it was his brother that had just won a gun.  We were so excited. . . . . .   :rolleye:

Anyway, they finally called some guy’s name and I went up to get his prize.  Here it is. 

Anyone know anything about my new Savage Model 93R17-FV?  It is that funny .17 HMR caliber that Glen keeps talking about.

Jerry

HaMeR

Boyds makes a dang nice thumb hole stock for that one Jerry.  I've also found that I would be happier with a 4-12 on mine instead of a 3-9.  :wink:

Congratulations on the win!!  Enjoy it Safely!!  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Mallardsr

Thats an awesome little rifle. My son has one. I love it. It shoots excellent groups at 100 yards. I hope yours is a shooter. :biggrin:

iahntr

Hey,, :yoyo: congratulations Jerry!  :highclap: :highclap:
Scott

FOsteology

Nice little paper puncher you picked up!

alscalls

A fun gun and a tack driver!!!!

I have had this one up for sale in the hunting classifieds for a long time......

http://finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=7039.0

Now I know why.....I did not know they give em away..... :laf: :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

slagmaker

Man you still have that thing up for sale. Dang wish I could shoot a thumbhole left handed.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

pitw

Really nice to see a guy who deserves to win,WIN :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

WhiteHare

I offered to take it off his hands since it has no sights but I was politely ignored.  I even offered real money.

Something he forgot to tell you... he wrote a grant for a kids program at the Fish and Game Club he is president of.  Well his club also was granted $500 due to his efforts and excellent Grant Writing skill.

All in all Jerry had a very good day.  Nice friend    :eyebrownod:     to keep him dry and he was also the winner of a gun and grant. 

It could have been better if I had won one too.  I don't think that would have been too much to ask...:rolleye:

Richard
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

weedwalker

I've got one of those same rifles. They shoot good, but mine has a very heavy trigger pull. I haven't tried to adjust it or change it though.

HaMeR

I suppose you could kill a groundhog with one of those paper punchers if you were threatened hard enough.  :roflmao:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

I sure enjoy mine! :biggrin:

Shoots the 17gr V-Max great, the 20gr okay w/ a different point of impact , & the CCIs like crap.

Quote from: HaMeR on July 25, 2009, 04:34:36 PM
I've also found that I would be happier with a 4-12 on mine instead of a 3-9.  :wink:
I'm w/ HaMeR on that too.  I have a 4-12x50 Swift on mine now that doesn't have PA. Works great for it. :wink:

HaMeR

There's that dandy lookin Minnie Pearl Hummer!!  :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

VV that looks just like the one I have for sale.......I shot a squack wit it once @110yds just cause I could..... :laf:
I took the tag off mine though... :laf: :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Quote from: alscalls on July 26, 2009, 09:49:16 AM
I took the tag off mine though... :laf: :laf:
I didn't want us to get confused as to who's was who's  when we got to hunt together Al.  :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

I was gonna say I think Al's got one for sale. He beat me to it.

I think you'll like your toy if you've got a use for it. Any almost free gun is a good gun.....well almost.
If not, I'm sure Maddie is going to have a blast with it :wink:

By the way, how big of a circle did your clear around yourself while you were standing in line with water running off that umbrella?  :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Well I have had almost 24 hours to think about this gun and am still working on options.  Since the initial price was right (free) I think I will stick one of the scopes that are sitting in the gun safe on it and see what it will do.  I have a 4 x 12 and a 6 x 18 that might work pretty well on it.  Now I just have to get rings and ammo.  This is the first Savage that I have with the AccuTrigger so I will be interested in seeing how it works.  Some seem to like it quite well and others don't.  I will start playing with the adjustments on that this afternoon.  Jim, you mentioned Maddie and that brings up another problem with keeping this gun - if I keep a gun I will have to try to balance out the number so that each daughter will get one when I am no longer around.  Maybe I should have taken Richard's offer of $30 for the gun.  As for the umbrella, it is a good way to keep people away from you and since this one was Richard's golf umbrellas it cleared a good size path and made run off all that much more.  Once the guy in back of me figured out that it was not raining as hard as it seemed he stayed a little further back. 

Jerry

Mallardsr

:confused: Hawk I think you should use this opportunity to acquire yet another gun! Remember, always more not less! :biggrin:

Bopeye

That's fantastic Jerry!!!  :congrats: :congrats:

You finally have a gun to hunt coyotes. It really bothered me that you weren't using a .17 like many of us.  :wink:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Hawks Feather

Bop,

I have a .17 Mach II and it would seem to do a pretty good job on a coyote.  It works really well on paper and I have heard if a gun works well on paper you can use it to shoot coyotes.   :nofgr:   In reality I don't see the .17 HMR ever going after a coyote unless one walks out while I am looking for groundhogs or shooting paper.

Jerry