• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What a day

Started by Hawks Feather, July 25, 2009, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotehunter_1

Jerry,  :congrats: on winning the HMR  :biggrin: :yoyo: :highclap:

QuoteI have a .17 Mach II and it would seem to do a pretty good job on a coyote.

Ya' just have to call them in close  :wink:

Seriously, I would never recommend the .17 Mach 2 as a coyote cartridge but with a little luck, proper bullet placement and a coyote at 50 feet, it can be done….   :innocentwhistle:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

HuntnCarve

Way to go Jerry!  Couldn't of happened to a better guy! -Winning the gun that is, not the rain.

Dave

bushmaster

The Lord sure keeps good fortune with ya, dont he Jerry?
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

USMC_SgtMaj_Ret

I got my first coyote yesterday morning.  I was having my morning coffee waiting to go horseback riding at 0630.  I looked out my living room window and saw a mother coyote and her two pups playing along the river bank on the other side of the river.  I grabbed my Savage 17 cal Mach 2 with BSA Sweet 16 scope, set the distance at 75 yards and shot one of the pups.  The next morning, at exactly 0630, the Mother and the other pup were in the same spot.  I shot the mother first, the pup ran along the bank upstream.  I watched it closely as it return back to the dead mother.  I aimed in and shot the other pup.  Thats three coyotes in 24 hours.  Wow, I am so excited.   I love my Savage 17 Cal Mach 2.  All three were killed at 70-75 yards.  All three were shot from a sitting position from the living room window with a firm pillow as a bench rest.  The 17 Cal Mach 2 can kill a coyote at 70-75 yrds.  I highly recommend this gun.  I found this cool website after my interest and excitement of getting my first coyotes with my new gun.  Though I'd chime in....

Yotehntr

Congrats on the gun Jerry!  :yoyo:  I have one that's pre accu trigger, but my youngest daughter loves shooting it anyway! It's a great gun to introduce them to shooting. 

Welcome aboard SgtMaj! glad to have you with us!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Hawks Feather

SgtMaj,

First off, welcome to FnF and then congratulations on the coyotes.  I guess the Mach II has a little more punch than I thought.  But then, I would assume you are a pretty good shot as well.

Jerry

KySongDog

The .17 mach 2 is a necked down 22LR. while the .17HMR is a necked down .22WMR.   I wouldn't use either of those .17's on coyote sized game.  My $.02.

Hawks Feather

Semp,

I would agree with you and it would not be my choice of a coyote hunting weapon.  A CCI Stinger necked down to .17 will fly and appears to be a pretty flat shooter.  If I am going after coyote sized game it would be with a larger caliber gun, but if I were squirrel hunting with the HM2 and a coyote walked by, I would probably try a head shot.

Jerry

USMC_SgtMaj_Ret

I totally agree with the 17 HMR Mach 2 as not being a preferred weapon of choice for coyotes.  I bought the gun for skunks, raccoons, and foxes that come right up close to my living room window.  The shots were at coyotes that were very comfortable living close to humans and I was able to take a shot from a well supported position.  The first pup and the mom were shot just behind the ear in the neck.  The did flop around for along time before they died...which I don't like. The second pup was a shot just behing the left front leg and entered into his heart.  It was the only instant kill.  I couldn't use my Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle because it was at a time when many of my nieghbors were still asleep and the Ranch Rifle is much louder.  Frankly, I was surprise that I did get kills at that distance, but only one of the three kills were quick.  This is a great forum, I have learned so much browsing around and studying.  Great input from all the posters and mods.

nastygunz

Welcome aboard!...the .17HMR does have that pinpoint accuracy going for it if you can handle your end. I really like mine for woodchucks and crows and would be comfortable popping a coyote if one was in reasonable range...they really shine if you hunt crows on the ground....and NH crow opens Saturday  :yoyo: