• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My first shot at a buck

Started by Spike, October 03, 2011, 07:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Here is a video my dad took of my first shot with a compound bow at a buck on saturday night.  My dad couldn't post it to get it on here but posted it on utube. here is the link.

I can't believe I missed it. It was only 12 yards away. Dad thinks the arrow planed and then worked on the bow.

HaMeR

After watching the shot several times I think that is what happened as well. There doesn't appear to be any twigs or anything in the way of the shot & I couldn't see anything move either. The Illuminock (sp) showed up very nicely. Too bad you didn't connect. There will be another shot!! Hang in there Dante!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

It is never fun to miss, but I would rather miss than stick one poorly and have it get away.  What was the other one that was following - another buck or a doe?  Hang in there and you will get another shot.

Jerry

Spike

There were two others that were following it. They were both bucks. One was either a 4 or 5 and the other was either a 6 or 8. I shot at the 4 point because if they got any closer they would smell us and I was really ancious to get a buck. Tonight I have to go to football but tomorrow I'm going to try again. About a week before buck opened I saw two eights and a ten point behind our house. I'm hoping one of them will come by.
Thanks

HuntnCarve

I believe you missed that 4pt for a reason?  I have a sneaky feeling one of those bigger bucks are going to be attached to your tag when it's all said and done!  So hang in there, and keep practicing.  We'll all be waiting to hear the story of how Dante got the big buck. :wink:

Dave

lacie23

KySongDog

I think what may have happened was the deer "jumped the string".   Deer instinctively drop (to coil their legs for a quick get a way) at the slightest unnatural sound.  That causes lots of bow shots to go over the deer's back.   The sound of the bow shot reaches the deer before the arrow and thus, the deer drops and "jumps string".

Its happened to me several times over the years.   Try to make the bow as quiet as possible with string dampers and string silencers.   

Good luck!  You'll get him yet!

iahntr

yeah, I couldn't tell for sure either. Kinda looks like ya maybe just shot over his back.
Make sure ya take some practice shots from your stand too. Trust me, I've hunted a
long time, and have missed some "easy" ones too.  :eyebrownod:  You'll get em !
Scott

FinsnFur

Dante, I can tell you this much. You shot a heckuva lot better then I would have. :eyebrownod:
I'm not a bow hunter, but I can see in that clip that your gonna be :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com