• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

New American World Record for a Snake?

Started by Ladobe, January 21, 2007, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladobe

Kinda makes me wish I had kept mine...  :confused:    :shrug:   :roflmao:

OK, OK, OK.   But I did run with a buddy during high school that both he and his dad got new 66/67 Cobra 427's, had another buddy in Kalifornia with one in the early 70's, and a current buddy here that still races his (and I've driven all of them a few times).   None of these are/were Super Snakes, but are still a rush to drive.

The Sydney Morning Hearld

Shelby Cobra sells for $6.98m
January 22, 2007 - 7:09AM

An 800-horsepower Shelby Cobra has sold for $US5.5 million ($A6.98 million) at auction in Arizona, a record for an American car.

It was once the personal car of the racing veteran who developed the iconic sports vehicle.

The sale of the 1966 Shelby Cobra "Super Snake" brought a packed house to its feet in Scottsdale at the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction after a pair of bidders drove the price up.

Carroll Shelby, 84, who created the Cobra in the '60s using Ford engines and a British sport car chassis, said he built the Super Snake - with twin superchargers on a 427 cubic inch V-8 - and drove it for years.

"It's a special car. It would do just over three seconds to 60 (mph), 40 years ago," Shelby told the crowd before the sale.

"I killed a buzzard with it," he said.

"Nasty, nasty."

The car had a twin, built for comedian Bill Cosby, but that car was destroyed in an accident while being driven by another owner, according to the Barrett-Jackson website.

Barrett-Jackson said the $US5.5 million ($A6.98 million) price tag for the Cobra was not an overall world record car price, since others have sold at auction for more than $US11 million ($A13.97 million). However, it is a world record for American cars, said Steve Davis, Barrett-Jackson president.

The winning bidder was car collector Ron Pratt.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FinsnFur

My veins run cold with S.A.E. 10W40  :biggrin: have since I was 14.
I wasnt into driving them as much as I was building them.

That thing is bichen  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Ladobe

Jim - was into both building and driving and had a very long string of muscle cars I drag raced locally in 2 states for about a dozen years before I tried road racing in the early 70's (Laguna Seca).   Terrorized the track on Saturdays nights - the streets the other 6 nights a week.   Ever since there has always been at least one muscle toy parked in the garage, but I don't race them anymore.   :innocentwhistle:

Anyway, here's my buddy Sheldon's 427 Cobra at a car show in Vegas 2001 right after he bought it (to replace a small block "kit" Cobra he had).   Shelby was there and signed his glove box for him.   It's now set up full race, and gets raced often.

USN 1967-1971

FinsnFur

Quote from: Ladobe on January 22, 2007, 01:15:17 AM

It's now set up full race, and gets raced often.

I'm glad to hear that. Nothing worse then shelving all that muscle.
Vegas always did have some of the higher ranked cars shows. Thanks for the pics Ladobe.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

We drove right by that car show several times while we were out in AZ last week. Man was that place packed, and a ton of cars as well! The airport was full of people leaving the car show as well. There was some nice rides there!

Brent

ohiobob

Ladobbe
in the top pic you posted of the blue car,,did your buddy run into a U.S. Navy destroyer ? i seen the twin props in the grille opening?  :confused:

Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Ladobe

Bob -  :laf:   :laf:   :laf:

The blue car is the only surviving Super Snake and the one that was sold, the red one is my local buddies car.   As Shelby knew 50-60 years ago, pumped big blocks run hot and need all the air circulation and cooling they can get, especially in the desert southwest.   My '73 Vette is mostly a fall/winter/spring ride only.   Even with air induction it just plain doesn't run good when it gets much above 100 degrees and especially into the 120's here in Vegas.

USN 1967-1971