• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

You think this pic is real??????????

Started by outlaw, January 29, 2007, 12:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outlaw

Seems by the size of the bird the pic is fake... what you think, supposedly taken in MT...

R Buker

That is a real picture.  Eagle and fox.  I don't recall the details but I'm sure someone will come along with the story.

Ladobe

By default I'd call it a fake - as most of these pictures floating around the Internet are.   

You decide.   The subspecies of Golden Eagles we have in NA average 5'-7' wingspans, with the females being the largest.   Blackbilled Magpies ( the subspecies found in MT) average about 1 1/2' tip of bill to tip of tail.     

My guess is a photo shopped job into an otherwise believable picture of a Golden flushing a magpie off a carcass.

Just an opinion, but hey, what do you want for 2 cents?   :shrug:    :wink:

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FinsnFur

It is real  :eyebrownod:

In fact it's been around the internet since February of 2006 and the picture was taken by a photographer, rather then a hunter, and it was in Montana.

Here's the whole scoop on it http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/eaglefox.asp
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

outlaw

We dont get all the latest info here in SD....   :innocentwhistle:

ohiobob

Damn we dont get to see stuff like that in Ohio,,,and there is magpies in MT? i guess it isnt to hard to figure out if Canada is full of magpies,,my next question,,is it legal to shoot magpies in MT ?
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

vvarmitr

ohiobob

Good detective work James
those are some good pics

Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Ladobe

Randy - Jim...

Thanks for pinning this photo down as real.   We have a lot of Goldens in the desert southwest and most are easy to approach fairly close.   I was lucky enough to do eyrie and species count studies on all the birds of prey species with the county AG biologist when I lived in SW Utah for a few years.

Quote from: ohiobob on January 30, 2007, 11:58:32 PM
Damn we dont get to see stuff like that in Ohio,,,and there is magpies in MT? i guess it isnt to hard to figure out if Canada is full of magpies,,my next question,,is it legal to shoot magpies in MT ?

Yellow-billed Magpies are only found in California, but most of the rest of North America is populated by Black-billed Magpies, at least in their preferred habitats.   

Being Corvids, they are federally protected in the US by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, Lacey Act,  Pan American Convention and Wild Bird Conservation Act... and do not have an open hunting season.    Only in America does it take our government several laws to cover the same thing.    :rolleye:   

So no, it is not legal to kill magpies in MT, or destroy their nests or even to have their feathers in your possession.   While Great Britain (for Canada) did subscribe to the 1918 treaty, Canada currently does not include any Corvids on their protected list at all.   

So if you are in MT and want to shoot a magpie, make sure you are far enough north to at least have one foot in Canada when you do it.    :roflmao:
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

stevecriner

I always wondered were the front feet went on the fox. Must of pecked them off.
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"