• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

last nights catfish trip.

Started by bigben, July 24, 2011, 08:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

man am I glad I made the trip last night.  at the start of the week my little brother and his girlfriend wanted to go catfishing.  I said lets see what the weather is like.  by wednsday the water temp was rising and with 100deg days I figured 90's was probable by the weekend.  so I told em that we ought to postpone.  well sat morn I read on another board that the cats turned on.  so I asked my brother if he made plans yet.  he said no I told him I'm heading for bait where going for cats.

I loaded the canoe up and caught 3 dozen assorted baits between regular gills, red breasted sunnys and rock bass(red eye).  we got to the river around 8 at night and got setup in a deep hole in what I started calling the trench.  about 30 minutes into I was about to leave and we get one.  smaller channel.  as we were unhooking that I hear the baitrunner go on my shimano.  I reached over locked the handle and sent the circle hook home.  this was my brothers girlfriends first time cattin.  she had just reeled in the first I picked the rod outta the holder and handed it to her and I knew it was bigger then what we were catching.  She worked it in easy but at the boat it stayed on the bottom.  We got it netted and it ended up being a 16lb flathead.  her first flathead she catches a 16lbr.  that was cool.  We got em both back in the water and kept fishing.  we caught a few more and moved.

The white flys started coming off and we still kept catching.  we had multiple times we had doubles and triples going.  we ended up moving a total of 4 times each location gave up fish and multiple take downs.  some where smaller fish that couldn't get the bait in their mouth.  we ended up with 30 fish landed.  a mixture between flats and channels.  mostly channels.  10lb -3lbrs.  We left em wanting more when we ran outta bait and came home at 2.  the last time we had this good of a time with numbers was back in march.  my brother and his girlfriend had a dang good time. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Very nice :yoyo:

Completely off topic.....I got to ask something, cause I run into similar things quite often building websites for people when they send me pictures.
Who in the [L] named that picture? And why?  :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

QuoteWho in the [L] named that picture? And why?

I said the same thing before scrolling down and seeing your post Jimbo...

Ben nice story and picture and looks like you are having a Heck of a good time on the water this year. I been keeping up with your pictures on FB and all I can say is WOW and wish I lived closer to you... :yoyo: :yoyo: So I could tag along...
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Hawks Feather

Sounds like all three of you have a lot of fun.

Jerry

bigben

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 24, 2011, 08:51:53 AM

Completely off topic.....I got to ask something, cause I run into similar things quite often building websites for people when they send me pictures.
Who in the [L] named that picture? And why?  :alscalls:

they are cell phone pics.  I don't rename them at all i just upload them.  Thats why they got the crapload of numbers. 

thanks fellas.  it has been a good year this year.  I can tell ya though it was hot on the water.  The water temp was 90 deg and went up 10 deg in 7 days.  I guess it flipped a switch and turned em on.  I don't think many others were catching though.  not sure if it was their bait or location.  but I have learned in the past year 90% of the fish is in 10% of the water.  find the 10% and your normally in for some catching.  it just happened that last night we hit the right locations at the right time and followed active fish all night. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

hunter724

FinsnFur

I think I'd rename the pic. :alscalls:
It's only 55 characters long.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

hunter724

sure takes good night time pics.....all the kids got phones with flash i gotta try to light the fish with lights then take the pic.....

thats a nice flatty caught a few like that about this time of year..around 12 to 2 am...

getting bluegills got old all the farms are posted..and nobody allowed to fish but family...so its about 18 miles out of the way...and the rivers here are bad.....a fish like that wants to make me break out the poles...

just got some new whumpim sticks and baitrunner reels and havent used them maybe once or twice....

been trout and small mouth fishin in the mountains...

how long was that critter ben?

congrats again..

bigben

best guess is 33in.  I don't measure length only weight on catfish.  I checked it against a chart that has a weight/length ratio.