• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A good night of flatheading.

Started by bigben, August 18, 2013, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I just got a new boat and worked through most of the week to finish it up to get it to something i could catfish out of. Sat afternoon my father and i went to the local creek and caught a bunch of live bait. We got home grabbed our catfishing things and headed to the river.  Got the boat launched and got setup on a hooe that typically produces decent fish every now and then.

The first rod that went down was a smaller flathead. Est 12 lbs. right after i got him unhooked and thrown back my other rod went down and started pulling drag. I picked the rod out of the holder and worked him in. It was a game of tug o war. Id gain some and then hed pull drag. Right then dads rod doubled over and he was doing the same tug o war on another nice fish. I finally got mine up and netted and i turned my focus to dads. Got his netted and in the boat.

Here they are in the boat

You can see there is another boat in the second picture. They were anchored downstream of us all night and was close enough we could hear their conversation and see their fish. Dads flat is the one with the orange grips in his mouth.

Pic of dad holding his biggest flat to date.

We stayed put and about every ten minutes we were landing fish. I was contemplating pulling anchor and moving and this fella came to the party. There was no messing around either. He just slammed it and pulled it down peeling drag.

And heres a couple more hawgs.

Since i took my boat i didnt have scales in the boat. I am sure tho that we both bested our previous weights by lbs. it was prob my best night ever as far as weight. And im glad dad came along to enjoy it as well.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

coyote101

Wow Ben, you are slaying them in the new boat. Looks like you and Dad had a great night.  :highclap: :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Looks like a great time, but not that you have limited out for the year what are you going to do?    :wink:

Jerry

bigben

All these fish were released. The good part of fishing season is coming. Soon the fall channel bite ought to be good
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

shaddragger

:bowingsmilie: That is how you christen the ship! What a night!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

bigben

Thanks fellas. It was a memorable night for me.

FinsnFur

LOL holy cow...you guys didnt hold nothing back did ya. Well.....nothing except your shoes!
Thats some pretty nice catting for a night. Nice job. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

You guys sure got into some dandy fish Ben!! Congratulations to you & your Dad on a great night on the water!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

I usually wear boat shoes so i dont get a hook in me but we were in such a hurry to leave i forgot em.

Dave

That looks like you got it all figured out - fine tuning not necessary!

KySongDog

Real nice, Ben.   Extra nice in that you got to do it with your dad.    :congrats:

nastygunz

Holy Hogs they probably crap bigger the the catfish in NH!..theres a season limit?

bigben

Not in pa. Just a daily limit of 50 combined species

Okanagan

bigben

Jim would prob cry but we were using hand sized live blugill. Most were chunky filletable chunkers too.

FinsnFur

I heard that! :laf:
We cant use bluegill here. We have to use chubs or bullheads.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz