• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

coydogs

Started by 1snafu, December 12, 2023, 07:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1snafu

If my memory serves me correctly. It was Winter 1969. Dad asked me if I wanted to go with him. To look at a coyote hound, a farmer/coyote hunter had for sale. While we were looking at the hound for sale. He asked us, "Have you ever heard of of a coydog?" Well the answer was no.

So he said, follow me. He took us out to one of his garages. There hanging on a wall nail. Was a long reddish/orange pelt. He told us his daughter shot it a few Winters ago. After their hounds ran a coyote into a large willow patch out on an open field. To me it looked like the pelt of a red fox as for it's coloration. If I recall correctly. From the tip of it's nose to the bottom toe pad of it's hind feet. That pelt was around 6'6" long. That farmer said that coydog weighed 75 lbs.

Dad bought that hound & it turned out to be a good coyote dog. Over the following decades. I came across maybe 1/2 dozen coyotes that were hybrids. Every one of them was on the large size vs the average coyotes I've seen. They were also off colored.

Todd Rahm

I used to see a few in Indiana growing up, and just happen to see one since I've been in Tennessee. The one I saw here was all black and huge. Never shot one though...........yet.

I'm surprised with all the feral dogs running around we don't see more.

I don't recall where it was at (maybe Nevada), but I just read an article where a dog was running with a coyote pack. They came to find out he was actually the Alpha and running them.

Nature knows no boundaries.

1snafu

I find this topic very interesting. When coyotes & domestic dogs cross-breed. I recall one day near 40 yrs ago. I was sitting in an ER waiting room. I picked up I think it was a Field & Stream magazine. On the cover there was a story mentioned. A story about Coywolves discovered in that state.

So I read it. It occurred in upper NY or Pa? I don't recall now which state. Biologist discovered a hybrid breed of coyote & wolf crossbreed. A den was discovered & they tranquilized a large nursing female. They obtained her DNA. It was discovered she had both wolf & coyote in her DNA. If memory serves me. She weighed around 75 lbs.