• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Toggin along

Started by Dave, April 30, 2014, 08:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

1st trip of the year.  Fishing for Tautog, or black fish.  One of the best eating fish God invented!
This was taken from someone else's boat and not off some boat dock.  We are actually about a 1/4 mile offshore fishing off the end of an inlet jetty. 

This is the only pic we took.  Had a great time finally catching some fish!! Limit was 4 fish/man.  Unfortunately the season closes today for two months, and then drops to a 1 fish limit.

HuntnCarve

I've been fortunate enough to sample some batter dipped, deep fried Tog up at the deer camp in previous years thanks to these fellas.  Delicious! :wink:
Way to hit em Dave!

HnC

Hawks Feather

Dave,

It doesn't look like there is much meat on those fish.  Must have been a rough winter for them.    :iroll:

Jerry

HaMeR

Yeah they appear to be all skin & bones.  :shrug: :shrug:

Nice mess of fish for sure!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

Never even heard of black fish.  Were they once called negro fish or maybe colored fish?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

They look like sucker.
Heck of a nice batch of whatever they are. I never heard of them either. Looks like fun. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Quote from: JohnP on April 30, 2014, 04:52:12 PM
Never even heard of black fish.  Were they once called negro fish or maybe colored fish?
John, you're getting close. Haha.  They were all waiting for a free meal. 
They pretty much only eat crab and mussels, so they are fine table fare.
They do sort of look like a sucker laying on the table.  And they have a lot of skin around their lips like a sucker, making them easy to get a hook up.
Here's a pic off the internet.  Check out their teeth and lips. 

FinsnFur

Ho leeeee crap! Look at those chompers!
Those are river monsters :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Now we know how they can crack the shell on whatever they want to eat. 

The catch limit is interesting in that it goes back to 1 after being closed (assuming breeding season) for two months.  When does it go back up to 4?

Jerry

Dave

Quote from: Hawks Feather on May 01, 2014, 11:39:56 AM

The catch limit is interesting in that it goes back to 1 after being closed (assuming breeding season) for two months.  When does it go back up to 4?

Jerry
It's weird, Jerry, and I can't figure out why they do it this way. 
Jan, Feb and April is 4 fish, but March is closed. Then closed again May 1st to July 16th.  July 17th - Nov 15th one fish. Nov 16th - Dec 31st 6 fish.     :confused:
The size limit is 15" and the bigger tog (which is what we were catching, 15-18", all seemed to be females). 
Guess they are ready to breed, but I say keep the small ones that are the males.  :shrug: