• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

If there were a modern day Jeramiah Johnson.....

Started by FOsteology, January 28, 2011, 07:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

What gun set up do you think he would be packin?  :confused:

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

THO Game Calls

30-30 and a sidearm in 44 mag.  Fast, light, easy to get ammo almost anywhere, and enough gun to do what needs to be done.  30-06 would be good too, but I think a might heavy and big to pack around all the time, but again real easy to get ammo.

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

WldWldWest

M1A SOCOM II With a matching pair of Kimber 45's in duel shoulder rig's (1911's of course) and a KABAR :biggrin: :biggrin:

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

FOsteology

The 30-30 and .44Mag sidearm sounds 'bout right.

Easy to reload, components readily available, and excellent case life. Thumps game pretty good, and more than enough range available for a decent hunter.

A well built drilling sounds good too. 12x12 over 30-30. Although, 7x57R would likely be more common. Maybe a barrel insert for .22LR thrown in for good measure.

Something like this:

WldWldWest

I thought ya'll said modern...30-30 :confused:

That's yesterday :wink:

!

securpro

I'd say he'd be carrying a AR with a .458 or 50 beowulf upper for the big game and those pesky scalpers and a light weight 22 upper for them little critters and for a side arm I'd say a HK USP compact 9mm just so he could carry more ammo than in .45 with the same results. :biggrin:

But if it were me  :eyebrow: I'd stick with My old trusty Marlin 30/30 and good 6 inch revolver in .357 or .44 mag. IMO using an automatic in those temps would be a mistake :rolleye:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

securpro

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

pitw

Fos, I have looked and drooled over a lot of drillings and that is a fine looking sample.  Could you furnish a bit more info.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FOsteology

Barry,

Needless to say, the drilling unfortunately isn't mine. I've been drooling over it for the past week myself as a gent on another Forum has up for sale.

The particulars:

QuoteJP Sauer and Sohn hammer drilling in 16/16/9.3x74R with a 22 magnum insert for the right hand shotgun barrel. LOP is about 13 ¾ inches to the front trigger. Barrels are 26 inches long.
Barrels are marked Krupp Esson Fluss Stahl. It has an under lever to break the action. Barrel selection is by moving the lever on top of the pistol grip. The gun has very limited fine engraving.
The gun is I think, about 100 years old and has been hunted. It has wear in the bluing and patina and marks from field use. It has claw bases, but no rings fitted to them.
It has a bead front sight and a shallow v rear sight. There is a cartridge trap in the butt stock. The butt plate is, I believe, horn.

It has a worm marks and chips that you would expect from a gun of this age. I bought it several years ago from Gary Reeder. It was his hunting gun. He took it to Alaska and shot a caribou, fox and ptarmigan with it. He acquired it from an estate in Florida where that owner had hunted Africa. When I bought it, I had JJ Perodeaux (Champlin Firearms, Inc.) bring it back on face and repair the right hammer. The shotgun barrels have been opened to 2 ¾ inches. I shot a few 2 ¾ shells to test them, but have only hunted with short shells.

coyote101

I have kicked myself many times over the years for not buying a drilling when I was stationed in Germany in the mid 80's. The eastern European guns were pretty affordable when the exchange rate approached three and a half Marks to the dollar. Thanks for posting that FOs.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FOsteology

I lived in Germany during the mid 80's.... (1981 thru mid 1985)

Where were you stationed??

coyote101

Quote from: FOsteology on January 28, 2011, 08:46:01 AM
I lived in Germany during the mid 80's.... (1981 thru mid 1985)

Where were you stationed??

Goeppingen, which is about 30 miles east of Stuttgart. Whenever I travelled anywhere, I tried to get to the local Rod and Gun club. A lot of good deals to be had at that time, especially mid 84 to mid '85. Then the U.S. government started driving down the value of the dollar. The dollar was worth 2 mark 43 the day I arrived, peaked at 3 mark 47 I believe, and was at 1 mark 95 when I left in December 1986.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FOsteology

Pat,

I fondly remember those days in Germany. We lived in Karlsruhe (Paul Revere Village), but my father unfortunately spent most of his time in Grafenwoehr as he was assigned to the 79th Engineers out of Gerszewski (The "Zoo") Barracks. We still managed to travel across Europe extensively. It was without a doubt a fantastic place for a young man to go through adolescence.  :eyebrow:

WldWldWest

quoteHK USP compact 9mm just so he could carry more ammo than in .45 with the same results.

NOT!!! :doh2:

!

THO Game Calls

The real question is not what gun, but..........

"Can you skin a Griz, Pilgrim?"

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

KySongDog

Jeremiah would still be carrying Hatchet Jack's 50 caliber Hawken. 

FOsteology

Quote from: THO Game Calls on January 28, 2011, 01:56:13 PM
The real question is not what gun, but..........

"Can you skin a Griz, Pilgrim?"

{Bear Claw runs through the cabin with a huge grizzly bear close behind and jumps out the back window}

"Skin that one, pilgrim, and I'll get you another!" hahahahahaha

WldWldWest

Very Sweet shootin iron FOsteology!!! :biggrin:

I still say the MODERN day Jeramiah is gonna be gunned up with a lil more than a 30-30! Now granted he may well carry a 44 but I bet the Hogleg has glass on it :eyebrownod: I'm thinking this is how he's gonna be packing!!!

(My gas guns run in the cold)

!

FOsteology

I think MODERN day Jeramiah would get awful tired touting that behemoth up and down the mountain, and the inevitable hang-ups in the brush. Not to mention the frequent trips into civilization to stock up on batteries.  :biggrin: