• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Does anybody here can venison?

Started by coyote101, November 18, 2015, 07:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I bought a pressure cooker/canner at a yard sale for 8 bucks a couple of months ago. I've never canned anything before, but have been reading about canning meat and wanted to give it a try.

So, yesterday I cleaned and cubed some of the meat from the doe I shot and today I did my first batch of canned venison.

I came up just a bit short of seven full quarts of raw meat topped with a little salt.

Put the lids and rings on and put the jars into the canner.

Ran the pressure up to a tad over 11 pounds and let it cook for 90 minutes.

The end result:

I'll make some stew or chili with some of it and let you know how it turned out. I'm anxious to give it a taste.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Never canned it myself but have eaten it several times and love it.  Ready to eat, tasty, just warm it up.

I have read in recent years that the gov health services now recommend that meat not be canned in sizes larger than pints to insure through sterilization during the cooking.  All I have eaten was canned in quart jars...

Dave

Never tried canning it or eating it.
HOWEVER, 8 bucks for that pressure cooker canner set up - that's sweet!

coyote101

Quote from: Dave on November 18, 2015, 08:54:08 PM
HOWEVER, 8 bucks for that pressure cooker canner set up - that's sweet!

Dave,

I went to another sale a few weeks after I got the canner and picked up 56 quart jars for five dollars.  :thumb2:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

I have never canned it myself, but my cousin has all of his venison canned.  When it comes out of the can it is very easy to shred and makes great sandwiches.  The best thing about all those jars is that you can send some canned meat to Jim, Glen, Jerry, and still have two cans for you.    :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 22, 2015, 09:31:58 PM
Jerry did you get yours yet?   :confused:

You can pick it up face-to-face at LBL.  :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle:

Pat
NRA Life Member

JohnP

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 19, 2015, 08:55:52 AM
I have never canned it myself, but my cousin has all of his venison canned.  When it comes out of the can it is very easy to shred and makes great sandwiches.  The best thing about all those jars is that you can send some canned meat to Jim, Glen, Jerry, and still have two cans for you.    :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

Thanks Jerry Ill remember my exclusion when I re-do my will.

Have had it once and I recall not thinking to fondly of it.  My taste in meat runs to steaks about 2" thick cooked rare over charcoal.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Your smoooooth Pat lol 😆

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com