• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Traded for food.

Started by pitw, May 31, 2010, 07:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I was chatting with  iahntr yesterday and we got talking about some cheese I had traded for.  I told him I'd post pics on the forum.  So as I have found them and not wanting to make a liar out of myself, here they are.
Mandy with one of the small ones for a size comparison.

The whole load on the cupboard.

The guys I talk with don't make it but get it from another colony that does.  The bigger one is a mild cheddar and the smaller ones are kinda/sorta a velveta type of cheese[not as soft or strong tasting] that I use on nachos a lot.  These guys get me some of the best cheese to be found up here.  Some times I get cheddar that hasn't been aged yet and it is interesting to taste the difference age can make to it.
I say what I think not think what I say.

cb223

HOLY CRAP!!!!!    :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:  Thats got to be the coolest thing I've ever seen. I LOVE CHEESE!!!!   I thought cheese only came in little blocks from kraft.

Where can I get my hands something like that?   :yoyo: That is awesome. I'm so jealous. 
CHAD

pitw

Cheddar is usually made in big "wheels" that are left on the racks to age.  These are processed somehow[I haven't figured that out yet.  I had a chance to work at a cheese making place in Bashaw years ago but when I went and toured it and saw the guys sweating with the wooden shovels, I decided I was to lazy for that job.  I did however get a good insight into cheese making :readthis:.  Kraft bought this operation and absolutely ruined it so we no longer have it to buy from.  Wisconsin seemed to have a lot of dairy and hence some cheese is made there.  Art and I found some that kept us on the road through a few meals :biggrin:.  I don't know where you would find it in your area but look around cause someone is doing it.

HuntnCarve

Did you ever try smoked horseradish cheese?  The Amish make it around these parts.  Man, that stuff is good!
Looks like you got yourself some fine eating there Barry!

Dave

pitw

Quote from: HuntnCarve on May 31, 2010, 07:48:43 AM
Did you ever try smoked horseradish cheese?
:puke: That horse radish is a weed to me and a damb tough one to boot. :argh:

Quote from: HuntnCarve on May 31, 2010, 07:48:43 AM
  The Amish make it around these parts.

I don't got Amish, just hutterites. 

Hope you enjoy it though Dave as everyone has different tastes. :wink:

HaMeR

That's a lotta cheeses Barry!!

And wash the damn dishes would ya!!??  :rolleye:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Quote from: HaMeR on May 31, 2010, 08:06:06 AM
And wash the damn dishes would ya!!??  :rolleye:

I already got the old ears cleaned for that one :doh2:.  Women :argh:

alscalls

Mmmmmmmmmmm!  Looks good to me!
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

I gotta say I ain't never seen cheese done that way before in elongated tubes.
Are those casings for sausage or baloney?

How do you always come up w/ such cool stuff to share?  :shrug:

Bills Custom Calls

So what did ya trade for the cheese
I don't like cheddar cheese that well
I am just guessing that you have close to 30# of cheese there
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Quote from: pitw on May 31, 2010, 07:04:40 AM
    So as I have found them and not wanting to make a liar out of myself, here they are.

I dint know how you could lose those. You could trip over them. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: vvarmitr on May 31, 2010, 09:57:29 AM
Are those casings for sausage or baloney?

Nope they are a plastic type casing that keeps them from being exposed to the air.  They are easy to store and when cut in 1lb packages you just need saran wrap to cover the ends.

Quote from: vvarmitr on May 31, 2010, 09:57:29 AM
How do you always come up w/ such cool stuff to share?  :shrug:

I guess I just live life my way :shrug:.  I don't go to Walmart[except to empty my ash tray or do something else ignorant] cause everybody sees that stuff.  If I see something interesting I usually stop cause what else is there to do :readthis:

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 31, 2010, 10:04:40 AM
Quote from: pitw on May 31, 2010, 07:04:40 AM
    So as I have found them and not wanting to make a liar out of myself, here they are.

I dint know how you could lose those. You could trip over them. :laf:

Donny found out they Don't make a good bat :doh2: :alscalls: :alscalls:

FinsnFur

Quote from: pitw on May 31, 2010, 10:07:42 AM
 I don't go to Walmart[except to empty my ash tray or do something else ignorant] ......

ROFLMAO!!  :alscalls:  :laugh2: :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

:confused: What a f'n country... where cheese comes in long tubes?:shrug: What next... featherless turkeys? :alscalls:

:biggrin:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hawks Feather

Barry,

The cheese looks pretty tasty and horseradish is pretty good.  Just remember if it weren't for weeds like that you would still be working in that cheese making place.   :wink:

Jerry

pitw

Jerry, many people grew horse radish up here as a condiment.  I got cured of it at a tender age at my best buds house as that stuff his ma made would burn the ash's off a volcano. Most don't touch it anymore and the patchs have gone wild.  I can't kill them with spray and they are in the ditch's 20 miles South of me for anyone who wants to dig it.  I've seen people pour diesel on the patch's :doh2: and that stuff grows right through it :shock2:.  I love weeds and nurture them where I can as I know where my bread is buttered at but as for the cheese place it had walls and I just could never bring myself to work inside them things :shrug:.
Barry

iahntr

Hey Barry, just seen this, been fishin all day.
That's pretty dang cool, and looks mighty tasty.  :yoyo:
That's a lotta nachos !  :biggrin: 
Thanks for sharin that with us.
Scott

Silencer

I love the horseradish cheese the Amnish make round here, we bring that huntin along with rye bread and dip !!!  

Good stuff ya got there Barry  :yoyo:  Big cheese fan here just like the rest.

Okanagan

Barry,
What do you call cheese fixed like that?  I couldn't google up anything like it.  I'd be interested in buying some to taste test if I could find it.  I have to make a short run to Calgary next week with a few hours down toward Claresholm, and wonder if you know of any place down that way to buy cheese like that?