• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

kettle creek calls backstabber

Started by bigben, August 22, 2007, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I got this call from a fellow pa call maker.  It is a enclosed reed call, but not just any enclosed reed call.  This call is a antler piece with two reeds one in each end facing each other.  One reed is a squeaker type reed and the other is a regular cottontail reed.  what makes this call unique though is the exhaust(where the sound comes out at).  it comes out in the middle of the call and goes all around the call body.  what this does is enable a caller to make some very realistic screams.  with mine I can make a rabbit distress, fox bark, raccon distress, and fawn bawls on the rabbit dist reed on the squeaker reed you can make mouse peeps and bird distress. You can make all these sounds in the amount of time it takes to pick up the call.  That is assuming that you know how to use a closed reed call.  he is also starting to make these in acrylic it sounds better then the antler one.  Here is the website and a video using the backstabber. 

http://www.kettlecreekcalls.com/index.html

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Todd Rahm

Ben,

I have seen them on Ebay for a time, nothing as classy as the acrylic call though................yet.

Sounds like a good concept but does that restrict the volume allot?

Thank,
Todd

awh

Very cool design. But like Todd asks, how loud???
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

bigben

I have never had a problem with sound restriction.  it has worked for me but we mainly call fox and only move a couple hundred yds at a shot.  if the wind is above 10 mph I normally do not go out.  I would say that it is about a critrcall standard as far as loudness goes. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Todd Rahm

They got a nice site and the acrylic calls look sharp, especially in the color selections they have.  Probably are super for cats and fox............................might just have to check one out.  :innocentwhistle:

Red Dog

I got the ice Backstabber. Tried it out last Sat eve. Had two foxes in in 20 min :yoyo:Curtis is a great guy to deal with. and will help you all he can

bigben

I just got a ice back stabber because you can never have too many calls right.  the rabbit distress has a much clearer note then the antler but I knew that allready because I have heard curt blow on his enough.  :huh:  that did not sound right but you get the idea.  very cool that he sent a autentication certificate with a seal never seen that before in a call.  also sent me a decal which will be put on the truck when it gets washed.  I am tellin ya guys this is a very good call for the money.