• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Got one Sat with the help of Hawk

Started by WhiteHare, October 20, 2008, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteHare

Got one Saturday, lathe that is.  (pictures below) 
I already had one that was on loan.  Woodcraft was having a to-do Saturday so Hawk and I headed on down to spend some money.  Needless to say, he spent more of my money than he did of his....Have you ever listened to that guy explain why you need this or that?
I agreed that a new lathe was in the picture but this picture was not what I had gone shopping for.  I also ended up with a Beale buffing system. (It is a long overdue addition, it just didn't fit on the old lathe so another reason for the new one.) 

His wise advice and sage wisdom prevailed.  His words of wisdom were, "Pay the price and buy it once."     :confused:   That's fine if it's not your money.  Now I need to line up some projects to use it on.    :eyebrow:   I've already turned one custom grip for my leashes. The new Jet lathe is sweet.  (Hawk, if you ever want to use it you know where it's stored.)    :sneer:

He made me promise that I would not go into competition by turning calls. I think he was just being nice. 
Not to worry Hawk, I can only make mine sound like a New Year's Eve noise maker anyhow.  Besides, I have some of your calls and it is obvious that I don't have enough time for the learning curve to kick in.

We've been friends for a loooong time and I admire all his many talents.  So I want to say publicly, Thanks Jerry, for all you do for me and also for your willingness to always help the other guy.
Now, here is the prize I picked up with the help of "Hawk's Feather".

Old vs the New.

Excuse the shape of the shop.  I was in such a hurry to try it out I didn't take the time yet, to get-er-cleaned-up.

Richard
aka: WhiteHare
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

vvarmitr

:yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:
WTG Dick!  :biggrin: 
Them dern Woodcraft stores end up w/ more of our larger bills than the gunshops do. That just ain't right!  :noway:
:laf:
Did ya get any new turning tools to go w/ it?  :eyebrow:  :biggrin:

alscalls

Ya shoulda hollered I would have bought you lunch.........I only live a couple miles from there :eyebrownod:
Congrats on the new lathe :highclap:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Jerry, used to do that crap to me too.
I just quit asking him to go shopping with me :noway:

:laf: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 20, 2008, 04:42:56 PM
Jerry, used to do that crap to me too.
I just quit asking him to go shopping with me :noway:

What can I say?  I like spending someone else's money.  I have a 1014 lathe, but Dick's 1220 is VERY nice.  I really like the 3/4 HP motor - MORE POWER!

Dick and I had a good time and as for lunch - Dick bought so you really should have come along.    :biggrin:

Jerry

HaMeR

Cool deal on the new lathe!! Condolences on knowing Jerry sooooooo long!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: And HTH did you turn that piece with no chips laying around afterwards??  :wo:  :shrug:  :confused:  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

WhiteHare

Glen:  That's just one of the tricks that I learned from Jerry.  Turn em, clean up, and then photograph.   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Al:  I thought you were in WBGVirginny.  Next time we'll give you a heads up and we can all do lunch.

James:  No new turning toys,  they will have to wait until I learn to use the ones I have.

Jerry:  Remember the bet?  Which ever team loses buys!  If my memory is correct, Miami beat BG.
Since both you and my wife are BG alums and I graduated with onery's from Miami, she bought,  I just paid.  You do remember how that goes don't you?

I don't mind shopping with Jerry, he has allowed me to get quite a few good deals over time.  You just have to remember to take your wallet with you when you go.   :whew: :whew: :whew:

Thanks again Jerry for your help.
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: WhiteHare on October 20, 2008, 09:15:51 PM
Jerry:  Remember the bet?  Which ever team loses buys!  If my memory is correct, Miami beat BG.
Since both you and my wife are BG alums and I graduated with onery's from Miami, she bought,  I just paid.  You do remember how that goes don't you?

Yea, like I said Dick bought!   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

Jerry Hunsley

That looks awful nice. I'm finding myself becoming more interested all the time in turning out some calls. I don't know jack shit about it though, so I will just let you guys with the expertise handle that.  :bowingsmilie: