• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Someone cut a tree down to block a dead end road while we were up the road

Started by Okanagan, September 14, 2020, 10:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Someone cut down a tree to block a dead end logging road while we were at the end of the road.  We used a 6 inch folding saw to cut our way out.

Grandson Code and I were scouting elk last week in his brand new pickup.  3 miles before the end of the abandoned road we caught up with an older car with a hippie looking couple in it.  They pulled aside and we rolled on past them.  When we got back to that spot on our way out, a hemlock log lay across the road, expertly felled and totally blocking the road. Code in blue shirt in pic below.  It is 15 miles to pavement and another 75 to town.

New truck on its first tank of gas, Code had not yet stocked it with our normal items of ax, saw, tow strap, etc.  I had some parachute cord and a little folding pull saw in my daypack.  We used the saw to cut the log and para-cord to pull it out of the road enough to get past.  That took over two hours.

The tree was 21 inches diameter at the butt end, shown below.  Someone had cut it with a chainsaw. We twisted 8 strands of paracord into a rope, tied that near the butt end of the log and tried to drag that end around.  Our rope broke before the tree budged.  Hemlock is notoriously heavy and many logs won't float.

Fresh cut stump with our hand saw laid on it for scale.

Photo below taken after we cut it and dragged the other end out of the way.

The road was wide enough that it was 40 feet up the log before it was lodged between trees on the other side of the road.  At that point the log was 11 ¼ inches diameter.  We started cutting there.   Our cut shown below.  I would have bet that a tree that big could not be cut with a saw that small but I was wrong.  We cut it.   Code used his vehicle jack to keep the cut from pinching the little saw.  We twisted 11 strands of paracord into a rope and towed the smaller end of the log around in an arc onto the road and out of the way enough to drive past it.

Photo below is of a new saw blade an inch longer than the one we used.  Note the package that says the 7 inch saw can cut up to 5 inches.  We cut over 11 inches with a six inch blade!

Why fall the tree?  Malice.  This is the second time this year up that road that someone has blocked behind our vehicle.  We figured good ol boys having fun the first time but we reported this second one.  And a couple of days later we camped right by the down log and hunted elk for two days.

nastygunz

Rotten bastards!  I have that exact same saw and it cuts like crazy.  I carry the same items you mentioned in the back of my vehicle, axe, bow saw, tow strap and come along, plus water and trail mix  and most importantly TP!

nastygunz

That makes me think those hippies have a dope patch growing back there somewhere!

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on September 14, 2020, 01:43:18 PM
That makes me think those hippies have a dope patch growing back there somewhere!

Makes us wonder about the same. Some of those south facing slopes are ideal.

nastygunz

I'd be watching for those hippies, we like to feud up here in the hills  :innocentwhistle: :argh:

MI VHNTR

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB