• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Packing out a bull elk

Started by Okanagan, November 14, 2023, 01:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

My boys have had a good year.  My son went east after a Rocky Mountain elk and I liked this pic he sent me awhile back.  It's a small mule  :wink:

I will add that it seems like those who are good at hunting Roosevelt elk in the wet jungle are REALLY good at hunting Rocky Mountain elk in the vastly more open country of Idaho, Montana, Colorado, etc.  Grandson killed a 5x5 bull his first morning bow hunting over that way.  Son killed the one above with a rifle I believe it was on his day two and he had chances at several bulls.  All public land without guides.

Hawks Feather

You have some very talented family members. A couple of people I know a couple of people from town who didn't get an elk till their fourth season.

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 14, 2023, 02:34:52 PMYou have some very talented family members. A couple of people I know a couple of people from town who didn't get an elk till their fourth season.

Your friends are doing pretty good.  My son is one of the best elk hunters I know, and he tells new hunters, including his son and nephews, that it will take five years to kill  their first Roosevelt bull.  It took him about four years of hard hunting to kill his first one.  Then he had a string of 15 or more consecutive years of killing a branched antler bull on public land, two of them B&C.  It took my grandson, Code, four years to kill his first one, if I remember correctly.   

The advantage of family is that the experienced ones can teach, coach, pass on info and guide younger ones to good bulls. 

I drew a cow permit this year and hope to shoot one in a farmer's field with a rest on a fence post.  No more big canyons at my age!

Hawks Feather

From a rest on flat lands is the only way that I would ever be able to harvest one.

FinsnFur

Putting in the work....and a lot of it.
With very high rewards :bowingsmilie:
Congrats to the boy :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bambam