• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Prairie Dogs!

Started by Brad H, August 07, 2006, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

It only got up to 85 which made for a perfect day for shooting dogs. I rounded up Scott and Art (5 Shots) and we spent the afternoon at two different prairie dog towns. The first one was kinda slow. They'd been shot at plenty of times. It was a big town, but a roadside town. I think we only got 7 or 8 there so we moved to a smaller, lesser known, harder to get to town. That's where the real fun began for the next 2 or 3 hours.

Shots ranged from 10 to 250 yards. I have no idea how many were hits and how many were misses. I shot about 80 rounds and used both Swifts.

Here's a look at part of the second town before we started shooting;

Most of  the shots were the dogs sitting on or just inside their holes in which case a nicely placed shot throws the dog way up in the air with an impressive display of acrobatics, and lands him near by.

Scott fixing to dust one while Art ranges some mounds.

This one spot is where we shot the majority. We spent an hour and a half here without moving other than walking back to get ammo. Art even brough his .22LR peep sight which got 6 or 7 itself.

About half of the days take.

FinsnFur

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I Love It!....Thanks for the pics.
Where did you guys go Brad? Or is it local?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Brad H

Yeah, local. It's about 45 miles from here. Once you get started on a good prairie dog town it's tough to stop. This type of shooting is surprisingly addicting.

Brad

Rick223

Looks like a blast never done but I plan to soon.
thanks for the pics. :eyebrownod:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Yellerdog

That does look like a lot of fun.
I'm going to have to go somewhere that I can try that someday soon.

CCP

I always want to go do some of that it just looks just plain fun. :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

keekee

Cool! Looks like a ton of fun! Nice way to spend the day!

Brent

centerfire_223

I'd like to try that, one of these days.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Brad H

I can understand how some of these guys can squeeze out 500-1000 rounds in a day. It wouldn't be hard to do with a full day of this. I was pretty conservative, but I don't think my rifles were ready for that kind of action. I'll give'em a good cleaning when they get done panting.

Never did get a double. I'd screw the timing up or rush the shot and ended up blotching every one.

It's something everyone should do at least once.

Brad

Jerry Hunsley

The prairie dog towns around here are full of snakes in the fall. I'll post some pictures when I go when it gets a little colder. It's not uncommon to see 10 or 12 rattlers sunning around a praire dog hole.

Todd Rahm

That is one hooten time I sure would like to try once. Nive post Brad.

FinsnFur

Brad's invited us all out Todd, didn't you get your e-mail? :sneer:

He's been hitting all the big roadside towns till we get there. Saving the smaller, lesser known, harder to get to towns for us.

Right Brad?................... :confused: Brad?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Brad H

Ladobe

Must be a different Brad than the one I'm thinking of.    :shrug:   :innocentwhistle:

Quote from: Brad H on August 09, 2006, 07:48:51 PM
I can understand how some of these guys can squeeze out 500-1000 rounds in a day.
It's something everyone should do at least once.

Brad

Most years the shooting at Digger Wars was that hot and heavy.   That time of year we could get in as much as 14-15 hours of shooting a day in good areas.    Could have been barrel burners if we hadn't all brought along lots of firearms.   Most I ever took was 14, but one of the regulars brought 18 one year I think.

No doubt everyone should try a good digger shoot at least once... but I doubt few would leave it at just one.   Very addicting.
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Hawks Feather

I am right there with the ones that have not had the chance go chase little dogs.  It sure does look like fun, even if it would not be a barrel burner day.

Jerry

Smith

You guys are missin out, it is a blast!
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

Bopeye

When I was a boy, my dad use to take me to shoot prairie dogs alot. We were living in Gillette, Wyoming at the time. It was a hoot. There use to be a huge town of them near Devil's Tower, but last I heard you couldn't shoot them anymore. My uncle said it was like a tourist attraction now or something.......... :shrug:

Oh well..........fond memories.

Looks like y'all had a blast.  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free