• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Question about steel shot????

Started by centerfire_223, January 04, 2007, 11:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

I know I have heard that you are not suppose to shoot steel shot out of a regular shotgun choke. But can someone explain to me why?
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Roundman

Because steel is much harder than lead it puts a lot more stress on the tube. The steel shot Choke needs to be made of a better grade of metal. If you use a choke thats not made for steel it could split the tube or make it impossible to remove from the barrel. With lead shot the shot will deform if it's run through a tight choke tube steel shot will not.

KySongDog

Anybody use steel shot for coyotes?  Just wonderin'

Semp

centerfire_223

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Jimmie in Ky

You boys just say the word and I will pick up a box of 2 3/4 inch federal bb loads, copper plated lead. At least that is whats available here and work very well for me.Jimmie

centerfire_223

Jimmie can you get them in 3" Mag.? If so grab me a box, if it isn't a problem.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

KySongDog

I'll probably drag my 243 around.  I have some 3 1/2 inch 12 ga steel BB shells lying around from my goose hunting days.  They're old but should go bang.  Not as good as lead but if anybody wants, I'll bring 'em.

Semp

Mallardsr

I am a firm believer in using what you have, however I dont think yall understand the handicap. That Steel shot will play out quick.Best bang for the buck? Best I know of are the Remington Express Long Range 12ga. 2 3/4 Length  3 3/4 Dr. EQ  1 1/4 Oz.  BB (lead) . Biggest I can find.http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/cshop/store/detail.tam?cart=07A07jec.zik&lpg=%2Fstore%2Fgaugeshow%2Etam&lpt=1168207944&xax=996455&item%2Ectx=%3ASP12%2DBB

Jimmie in Ky

I can check and see if he also has the 3 inch rounds but I believe they are all 2 and 3/4 inch in bb.They work well enough for me in a regular full choke out to fifty yards. Way its been lately I should have been packing the shotgun anyway. I'll do that tomorrow in the way home from school. Jimmie