• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Stupid Questions

Started by DirtyDog, December 31, 2006, 11:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDog

Guys,

I hope I don't sound too stupid, but I live in TN, so I should still need to buy the KY 3 day, right, and also the LBL permit? Also, what would be the best gun? I currently only have a shotgun, but am going to be buying a centerfire and a 17hmr soon. Do I need to bring food, or will we get some when we get there? Is there anything else?

Thanks,
Joe

Jimmie in Ky

As long as your hunting in th Tennessee portion of the LBL you only need the LBL hunting permit which is 20 dollars. If you wish to hunt th Ky portion you would need a ky liscense as well as the permit.

With tenn, shot size restrictions I would sugest the centerfire.

For those of you hunting in KY bb is th largest shot you can use in a shotgun in the LBL. T shot coyote loads are illegal because of the small game seasons still in effect. And I do recomend at least one of a team be packing a shotgun.If you need bb loads let me know ahead of time so I can have them there for you.

You need to bring food and bedding and a decent small electric heater would be a good idea as well since the ones they provide for th cabins are a bit lacking. Friday night we will have chili for all, and Wayne is a darned good cook .

And also follow all road use restrictions they have. Read those and know them by heart, fines are hefty if you don't .

At this time consider all roads marked as sometimes impassable as just that, impassable. Ground is so rotten up there that even walking can be dangerous at times if you are not careful. Good hiking boots are a must this time. Weather in this area has been rather wet to say the least. I have a rather long stride and nearly fell on level ground the other day when the ground just slipped out from under me.

If you have any other questions please ask them. Jimmie

DirtyDog

So will there be a microwave my my frozen tv dinners?  :roflmao: I will probably get the KY license if nothing else but to not limit myself. I think I going to bring my shotgun, because I don't have enough coin for the rifle I want (AR-15). I have some 4 shot, but not bb. Are the bb loads steel or lead. I don't think I have ever seen that size other than steel.

Joe

Jimmie in Ky

I have several boxes of copper plated lead and some old lead rounds as well in bb.Jimmie

studabaka

I need to go check around for bb for my 20 guage, else I'll go with the 22-250.

Is it possible to get TN, KY, and LBL permits/licenses online or is that something we will need to do once we get there?
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Jimmie in Ky

You can go to the website of each state and pick up liscenses and pick up the LBL permit at either one of them. I will tell you right off that finding bb loads for the 20 gauge is going to be a major pain in the butt. I tried once for my kids shotgun and came up empty. Jimmie

studabaka

Thanks Jimmie!! and thanks Jim for all the state links out front! I'm all licensed/permited up now. I think your right about the 20 guage ammo. I just like my little mosberg bolt action so much more than my 12 guage pump or 'Baker' double barrel and it's sooooo much lighter. I shot my first most everything with that gun. Just seems fitting  :biggrin:

My dad still uses his browning auto with quick point and hopefully will for a long time to come. I might have to think about prioritizing a new toy in the future.  :eyebrow:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

topdawg

I have never been to a hunt like this. Do i need to bring someone with me to hunt as a group or does it matter.  Also i live close so do i need to stay at the campground, and is there any price to be involved with the hunt
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

Jimmie in Ky

No need to stay at the campground or even bring a partner if you don't want to. No cost to you whatsoever. Just bring yourself and get an LBL hunters permit if you intend to hunt or just come by the campground and shoot the bull with the rest of us.If you live within thirty minutes of the LBL enjoy a good nights sleep in your own bed cause these yahoos will keep ya up all night long  :iroll: Jimmie

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bopeye

If you don't get a good nights sleep it won't be because of me..........I'm kinda quiet and reserved, so I don't say much.  :huh:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jimmie in Ky

And if ya believe Bopeye, I got some prime beach front property along Murphy's Pond I would just love to sell  :eyebrow: Jimmie

FinsnFur

I got a stupid question since I've never been there. What's the water situation?
Are there hydrants, or is there water in the cabins or, is it BYO?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

ah....land between LAKES  :innocentwhistle:

I'm bringing a 5 gal jug filled, but expect there will be water. My understanding is that there are even showers though not in the cabins and not sure if they are hot or just refreshing.

FinsnFur

:roflmao: you .....
nevermind  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jimmie in Ky

Hot or refreshing showers depends on whether your first or last :eyebrownod:

Water is available but I always bring several jugs myself. Jimmie

FinsnFur

More stupid questions as I pile things up getting ready to load the bus.

Is anyone bringing anything to cook on? As in electric camp stove and or for cooking over the fire. How about firewood or is it available out there?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

Jimmie said that fire wood could be bought there. I'm bringing a mini weber grill [w/charcoal], a crockpot, and a coffee maker.

FinsnFur

Cool. I got a 30x30 woven Hog grate that I use on my own fire pit. I'll toss it in.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers