• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cheap Pistols

Started by FinsnFur, May 14, 2011, 06:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

In a hardware store last weekend with a buddy getting stuff to work on his boat with and I starting browsing the gun case.

I was seeing some pretty nice models, and calibers both for under 200 bucks. I thought what the "L"?
I asked the clerk why they were so cheap and if they were tagged wrong. He said they were Hi Points.
Well, duh...it said HiPoint right on them, but whats that mean?
I'd rather look like an idiot in front of people I know instead of people I dont know so I didnt ask him...now I'm here asking you?  :eyebrownod:

What's with them? Are they just flat our garbage or what?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

hunter724

they are around 260.00 here...my neighbor has one it seems to shoot well...i just bought a 149.00 nef shotgun that is built well and uses the same choke as both of my mossbergs do...so i added a turkey choke also..it outgroups both mossbergs by a mile with far more different ammo...so i dont check the prices i look at the build...dont those have a good warranty also?

CCP

Dont know much about there pistols other than the fact they are ugly as hell. I have however had some experience with there little carbine and the ones I have shot were very reliable and fun..
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

nastygunz

I own the carbine and they are the american ak  :yoyo:...heres a good forum with lots of info:

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php

Roundman

Couple guys I work with have owned the High Point handguns with bad results. They said the guns jammed bad. I've asked both guys if they would buy another one and both said L no.

I don't know anything about the Hi Point carbines. I've held a couple but not shot one. I've also held (but not shot) the Kel Tec sub2000. The Kel-Tec feels awesome. Given a chance to pick up a used Kel-Tec that holds the Glock mags I might give one a try.

WldWldWest

GLOCK......Nuff said!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

bigben

best part about a hi point is when it jams its heavy enough to knock the guy out with if you throw it at him.  I have a hi point in 9mm.  It is a gun I use to just shoot a bunch of FMJ through for pistol practice.  many jams.  most are FTF.  The mags leave a lot to be desired.  I modified the lips on the one mag and it will feed up to the last two rounds before getting a ftf.  but I wouldn't trust my life on it. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

WldWldWest

Quote from: bigben on May 14, 2011, 02:13:44 PM
best part about a hi point is when it jams its heavy enough to knock the guy out with if you throw it at him.  I have a hi point in 9mm.  It is a gun I use to just shoot a bunch of FMJ through for pistol practice.  many jams.  most are FTF.  The mags leave a lot to be desired.  I modified the lips on the one mag and it will feed up to the last two rounds before getting a ftf.  but I wouldn't trust my life on it.

Perfect review for a Hi Point :highclap:

!

CCP

QuoteGLOCK......Nuff said!

G - Good
L - Little
O - Overpriced
C  - Chicken
K  - Killer

They are

Some more reasons to buy a Clock

What he says at the end of this cracks me up. Every time I have seen this happen I almost always hear " Thats the first time it's done that" then I always say "that aint the first time I have seen and heard that."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4qgFsAlGSs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeBS6dzJs4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGx2wbZT4hE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff2u9e_Ui0Y&feature=related

All jokes aside my experience with Glocks were they don't naturally point for me. :madd: I have the same problem with a few other brands also. Once you replace the recoil spring and put in a ghost trigger to get it down to around 4-1/2 lbs instead of the 6lbs it aint so bad. Wish they would have just stayed with the old 9mm with the silver slide it ran like a piece of shooting iron/plastic is supposed too and very accurate. I just had to aim it more than just point and shoot in my hands at least.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

This is turning out to be some pretty good info on the HiPoints. I can tell ya I wouldnt have gotten this much from the store clerk :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

What is so funny to me is in the first video the guy shooting the 2 pistols, I believe the one in his left hand is a Hi point and the one in his right is a Glock. :innocentwhistle:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

HaMeR

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 14, 2011, 07:23:38 PM
This is turning out to be some pretty good info on the HiPoints. I can tell ya I wouldnt have gotten this much from the store clerk :nono:

The Pros knows Joe Jim!!  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

Quote from: CCP on May 14, 2011, 07:25:37 PM

What is so funny to me is in the first video the guy shooting the 2 pistols, I believe the one in his left hand is a Hi point and the one in his right is a Glock. :innocentwhistle:

And at the end he says,, "Do NOT air that."  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

HiPoint is another way to spell j-u-n-k.

Glocks Rock!    :yoyo:   I have put thousands of rounds through my G17 and G19 and never, repeat NEVER, had any malfunction.   The Glock was originally built for the 9mm round.

But I heard some of the other caliber Glocks have had some problems in earlier generation guns. 

WldWldWest

Hi-points are as my Hero Semp said....Junk! Without a doubt! If your gonna drop the coins for a cheap handgun, do your self a favor by a slingshot, At least its gonna shoot!

If ya want an inexpensive hand gun that will run with any handgun out there.....Buy a Glock! I have some 1911's that I have close to 2 grand tied up in and maybe more and I love em and will always be a huge 1911 fan but If I had to grab one and run out the door it would be either my GLOCK 21 45acp or my GLOCK 31 in 357sig I have run more rnds than I care to count through them without a glitch.

If I was gonna do something different it would prolly be a Kel-Tec....But I would still rather have a piece of bamboo sharpend to a point :shrug:

I watched your videos Rich and all of the Guns involved were the little Lady mini pistols.....The last one was....well, a lil limpwristed feller attempting to shooting a full sized glock, Watch his wrist? He's such a girl! What else ya got?         _low me! :biggrin:

!

KySongDog

Quote from: WldWldWest on May 14, 2011, 09:37:52 PM
Hi-points are as my Hero Semp said....Junk!

Wow!  I am a HERO!     I think ya might want to lay off the sauce for a while, Doug.   You've definitely been hitting the jug a little too hard.     :eyebrownod:

BTW, I never had any trouble with my G21 (I traded it but should have kept it) but that G30SF I had (also traded) was not 100% reliable. 

WldWldWest

Semp, (My Hero) When I mention Glock's, I'm talking strictly about the full size Pistols, For that matter any handguns! I dont have any knowledge or experience on the little one's. My opinion is that most of the MFG's damage their reputation when they start trying to downsize something that work's! I for one God forbid If I ever draw my weapon on a man I want him to see the Biggest Baddest Handgun I can point at him! Then maybe he'll think twice before he continues with his mischief!

BTW- You may need a lil work, But I think your :yoyo: Hero Material

Pass the bottle!

!

Roundman

I've learned to like the Glocks. Seems they have a heck of a following. If you buy one and don't like it resale is pretty easy. The subs sell fast as do the compacts. The full size seems to take a little longer to sell and sells for a little less.

Tikaani

A few years ago my son decided he wanted to buy a pistol he could carry concealed and to keep on his night stand.  He mentioned several brands and types, I will not mention any since I believe that nothing can end friendships faster than gold, fur, women and insulting the type weapon one carries.  The only thing I told him was, if a criminal busted down your door and was coming at you, at that split second in time do you want that $200 special with the $50 dollar rebate in your hand or a pistol with a proven track record.  I have nothing against cheap guns if you are blinking and such, but if it is to be used for personal protection, money should not be an option, whether it is a criminal or a charging bear, the last thing I think any one of us wants, is to squeeze the trigger and hear "click"  Just my two cents, and at today's inflation rate that means it is only worth one tenth of a penny.  :eyebrownod:

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

HuntnCarve

I went with a Sig 229 in .9mm so the wife could handle it.  Just pick it up and start pulling the trigger.  It starts off double action, then goes semi auto (at a much easier trigger pull) till the clip is empty.  That means fifteen holes!  Hopefully several in the intruder.  For me, I prefer my Kimber 1911 in  .45 ACP.  One big hole center of mass! :eyebrow: