• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Maybe a dumb question

Started by straycat, April 30, 2007, 09:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straycat

Does anyone close to Ky have access to used lead wheel wieghts? I'd like to get quite abit but they are kinda scarce around these parts.   
  Let me know,Thanks
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

awh

Stray. I'll check around here to see what the guys do with them. But I think most of the tire shops around here melt them down for bullet making. If your looking for just some lead give me a shout. I think I have a few large chunks left that I would be happy to give you.

Danny
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FinsnFur

Go to a hole in the wall service station that fixes tires. They rip em off wheels when they re-balance and throw em in a bucket. I'm sure they sell em to the junk man, but you might be able to pick em up cheap.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

straycat

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 30, 2007, 10:41:43 AM
Go to a hole in the wall service station that fixes tires. They rip em off wheels when they re-balance and throw em in a bucket. I'm sure they sell em to the junk man, but you might be able to pick em up cheap.

WHAT PART OF 'SCARCE' DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ???????????????????

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Ladobe

Close to KY?   Depends on your definition of "close".   

I'm closer to KY than say Timbuktu, Mali, West Africa.     :confused:

About 3-4 years ago I bought around 200 pounds of lead ingots for bullet casting that came from wheel weights I believe, and will never use any of what's left now (maybe 175#).   Shipped them from VA to NV too because I got a good price on it.    But with shipping charges being what they are now days...  you'd be better off finding one of those scarce, rare and locally unheard of tire shops in your own area.   

Either that, or the next time you fly into Vegas on vacation, bring along an extra heavy duty empty suitcase.   :roflmao:

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

CCP

Stray you can try a plumbing shop in your area and see if they have any lead. I used the lead i scraped as a plumber and added 95/5 plumbing solder to the mix. I used the small LEE pot when lead was 1inch from the top I added 1 roll solder and it made the same hardness as wheel weights,according to my hardness tester.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Wow, ....well turn me around and shat ma mouth.  :shck:

Are you just looking for lead, or do they HAVE to be tire wieghts?
I dont know why they would scarce...what are you boys south of the Mason Dixon line doin with with em  :confused:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bills Custom Calls

I don't know how much lead you are looking for,but i can tell you this that a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights will weigh about 95 pounds.

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Mallardsr

A full 5 gallon bucket will be more than this 6' 240 lb guy can pick up. How do I know? I have tried! Them thangs are heavy! PS: DONT TRUST THE HANDLE. Its hard on your toes. RP

straycat

Danny and Ladobe,Thanks for the offers. I don't think I'll be traveling West any time soon and I believe the shipping would get really expensive.

I was looking for several hundred pounds and maybe a semi regular supply to melt down and make shot out of.

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 30, 2007, 06:53:15 PM

Are you just looking for lead, or do they HAVE to be tire weights?
I don't know why they would scarce...what are you boys south of the Mason Dixon line doin with with em  :confused:

Jim,there are quite a few people around that do the same thing I'm starting to do,plus alot of folks make them into truck/tractor weights and sinkers for fishing around here.

Quote from: CCP on April 30, 2007, 06:15:25 PM
  Stray you can try a plumbing shop in your area and see if they have any lead. I used the lead i scraped as a plumber and added 95/5 plumbing solder to the mix. I used the small LEE pot when lead was 1inch from the top I added 1 roll solder and it made the same hardness as wheel weights,according to my hardness tester.

Rich......A plumbing shop !!?????  Where the #%@# do you think I live ?????????? Most of our 'Plumbing Shops'  would be a sawmill for lumber and a hardware store for a shovel.   :innocentwhistle:

MAN,you city folk are spoiled !!   :rolleye:

FinsnFur

Sorry I missed your replies...I was at the mall picking up some solar batteries for the kids I-pods  :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

GroundChuck

stray ,
I cant help you with your lead shortage . But, I would like to know how you make shot.
I you dont mind sharring. I'm new here can't pm yet . but in you pm me I can email you .
Thank you GroundChuck
There's nothing I can't do,I just haven't done it yet.

Mallardsr

Stray. I got a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights with your name on it. If your ever Nashville way holler at me. If not I will bring them to LBL hunt.
RP

cb223

At the gun club I belong to we dig out the indoor back stops every year. We usualy get about half of a 55 gallon drum.
We have a hard time giving it away!
CHAD

straycat

Thanks Regg,it will probably be the LBL unless things change.I'll give you a shout if things do change.Thanks again,Joel

ohiobob

My Dad was a member of the Goodyear Huntin club and they use to make shot for you but you had to give them half the lead,,,if you brought in 300 LBs of wheel weights they would give you 150 LBs of shot and send you on your way,,since my Dad helped a lot he got to keep more so he brought me about 200 LBs of 7 1/2 shot  and let me tell you 200 LBs last's a LONG time!!!
Of course crow season is coming back in June 8th so i MIGHT NEED that much shot,,they fly a little high around here :biggrin: AND I am taking bnccont crow hunting this year too :wo: damn I hope Bill shoots better than me and my 2 boys or we are going to NEED more shot :innocentwhistle:

Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

straycat

200 lb would last me about 3 months. Trying to cut down on the cost,28 bucks per 25 lb gets expensive.

ohiobob

yeh my Dad went through a lot of shot,,he was a trap shooter,,I trap shoot once every 5 years or so,and thats why lead last's a LONG time with me BUT i am gettin low and crow season is coming up REAL QUICK so i better get busy

Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???