• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Proof positive of the coyote's ability to devastate deer

Started by possumal, October 03, 2011, 10:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

About two and a half weeks ago, my grandson, Josh, got to go bowhunting for deer for the first time this season.  He had decided before he got up in his stand late in the afternoon that he was going to take a doe or two out of the herd this year, both for the freezer and to thin them down some.  At exactly 7:20 p.m. a nice doe passed by his stand about 15 yds out and he put an arrow right through her boiler room.  She ran about 25 yds into the standing cornfield to the left of his stand and he heard her crash.  He could hear her kicking the corn stalks for a few minutes, and then total quiet.  Then he spotted a nice 10 point buck working its way through the clover field that leads by his stand.  He concentrated hard on him, naturally, but he kept hearing a weird noise from where the doe had crashed.  He was paying close attention to the buck, and by 30 minutes later, it had gotten so dark he was not going to get a shot at the buck, and he was afraid he'd spook him getting down from his stand.  So he called the farmer and asked them to bring his truck back the farm road and run the buck off in a way he was used to, and the farmer accomodated him right away.  Josh went over to retrieve the doe, and look what coyotes had done in less than 30 to 35 minutes.  I guess if they had a little more time, the whole deer would have been gone.  No doubt it was mama doing the ripping and tearing so the pups could eat their fill.  Never ceases to amaze me what they can do, and how quick they can do it.  They obviously didn't know Josh had shot the doe, but they smelled the blood and heard her death noises, and came to the feast.

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Dave

Maybe a call maker can work on the 'cornfield crasher call.' 
Good post.

hunter724

we gutted a buck the first day last year ar 9am....pushed the hollow out at 2am...where we gutted the deer i found a small piece of hair everything else gone ..i mean clean would not have believed it if i hadnt been there at both times...just leaves tore up...no guts at all...