• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Mounting a scope on a Benelli Super Nova pump?

Started by Okanagan, March 30, 2019, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Have been thinking my old bones should learn to hunt flatland deer with a shotgun, and like the Benelli Super Nova pump that would see use for both deer and birds.  Was planning to put a red dot sight on the shotgun for deer, then learned that the Benelli Super Nova is not drilled and tapped for scope.  Bummer.   I shot one and REALLY like the low recoil Benelli stock.

Other scope mounting options?  Has anyone used one of the saddle mounts?  Saddle mounts are a sleeve that fit over the action with a rail on top that takes Weaver rings.  The only deer I ever killed with a shotgun I used the original bead.

It would be nice to have a rifled slug shotgun and a bird gun, or at east two barrels, but I'm just not going to put that kind of money into it for our limited use.  In research mode here and pondering options…

nastygunz

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/speedbead-systems

I have used a saddle mount on a Remington 870 and never had any problems with it .

Okanagan

Thank you!  That was quick.  I had not seen the Burris mount.  I like the low mount, wish it had a second attachment point to keep it aligned with the barrel better. 

The saddle mount may be the way to go for me, just hope it does not force my head higher. 

I have not seen any but wonder if there is some kind of barrel mount that would keep the sight aligned with the barrel rather than being mounted on the action.  Shotgun action to barrel alignment is reputedly prone to wiggle compared to rifles.  I don't need MOA precision but want the mechanics of the sight to hold at least 3 inches at 50 yards.  Ballistic spread would add to that.   

I probably should not admit this but on a long solo hunt way north I had a scope mount fail and repaired it to very good accuracy with a hose clamp and some brass wood screws.

nastygunz

Pow!

"
I have not seen any but wonder if there is some kind of barrel mount that would keep the sight aligned with the barrel rather than being mounted on the action."

https://www.aimtech-mounts.com/rib-rider-shotgun-mounts/

nastygunz

Biff!

http://mikestexashunt-fish.com/mounting-optics-on-a-vent-rib-shotgun-barrel/

****  This research effort and verbiage has been fueled by an old-school Batman TV series marathon and an unknown amount of Coors  :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

Okanagan

Wow!  You are a treasure of good information, Nasty!  One of those options will work fine, and gives me confidence about buying the Benelli.  Gonna wait till I see what how much the tax bureaucracies of two great nations are going to ding me and penalize me for moving across the line.

nastygunz

On the other hand, get that Benelli for birds and then get one of these bad boys strictly for deer and bear :

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage-Arms-Model-and-Bolt-Action-Slug-Shotguns/709944.uts

Okanagan

Update, maybe should be a new thread since I betrayed myself and bought a cheap Mossberg instead of the Benelli.

Got a 3 inch 12 gauge with two barrels, screw in chokes, scope mount and red dot sight for under $300 total.  Nastygunz, I ordered a shotgun scope mount from one of your links and will mount a Bushnell red dot when all the parts get here.

I'm not very recoil sensitive, won't shoot it all that much and this will do for what I want.  I plan to pattern some #4 buck and some 00 buck in the Federal flite wad stuff that shoots tight patterns way out there for many guns.  Will see how it does in mine.  It would be nice to have a 50 yard deer gun.   If I don't like how the buckshot performs I may buy a rifled slug take-off barrel on e-Bay as well, looks like plenty of them available for under $100, and they come with a built in picatinny rail. 

Meanwhile, have been scouting deer trails and tunnels though thick coastal brush and am half done with a tree stand overlooking a narrow trail slot, made of natural materials on site.  Would like to be all done with any tree stand or cutting of shooting lanes by early June and then leave it alone till deer season in October.

I just discovered the short little 1 1/2 inch shotgun target loads.  Those should be great for our kind of grouse hunting.  Has anyone shot them in your shotgun?  I'd like to use them with the red dot and shoot high enough over the grouse to catch only his head in the edge of the pattern.  I HATE birdshot in grouse meat!

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

When I was a kid growing up in the wilds of VT there were two kinds of  regular shotguns, Mossberg an Ithaca and if you had some money Remington.

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I saw one in a Fur,Fish & Game magzine once  :innocentwhistle: