• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Computer Problem

Started by Yotehntr, June 30, 2011, 11:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Well I did have anyway....  I haven't been able to stream youtube for a while now.  My laptop died (motherboard) so I got a new one.   It couldn't download large files (adobe flash player or reader...actually they're pretty small) so I got them on a jump drive to install... when I'd go to watch youtube (some clips posted here) I would see a few secs then it'd freeze up.  When downloading flashplayer it would download for about 3 secs and freeze... sometimes hitting pause and run I could eventually get a file downloaded.   I have DSL and did a "speed test".. I was down loading at 5.5meg....???  I guess they have me do a download for a couple secs then do the math for this..it didn't have time to do the "freeze" (maybe?)  I started to make a post about it but just carried it back to "best buy"  they reinstalled flash player (without seeing if it would run a video) then went to youtube it ran fine and said "there you go that was the problem"....   :confused:  I kinda didn't think so since it already had flash player on it but came home and tried youtube again... still no go.  Well I at least eliminated the computer side of it...  I didn't know this but my daughters new desk top wouldn't stream video's either.... so I called my ISP (AT&T) and told them what was going on. They said it sounded like a modem problem, got a new one and running/downloading like a champ!  oh.. download speed went up to 6.5 meg too!  I was kinda surprised at that.  I thought it might be a good idea to write down the symptoms in case someone else was having these same problems and blaming their computer instead of their modem.  :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

It's actually a modem/router anymore. Did AT&T give you one? or........I should say lease you one?
It's getting really tough to buy those anymore. You cant just run out and buy any old router like you used to be able to.
Now they have to come from the phone company in most places.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

They said it'd be $75... I said...  :confused: hmmm  now you know I can change my ISP and get one for free right?  Long story short they gave me one.  I noticed that some of the routers have modems in 'em when I went and bought a new wireless router.. (Netgear) my old one didn't want to work...   :shrug:  It's a freakin snow ball isn't it!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

I think people were hacking into the old ones and getting connectivity they werent paying for, because the market just disappeared.
The ones from the phone company come with pre programmed compatibility. So if you do happen to find one elsewhere, chances are it wont work unless the phone company installs something.

Yeah some of the routers have modems in them, thats why I said they are called a modem/router anymore. You can buy routers all day long at Walmart, but all they do is route the modem signal to other computers in your house ...slash.. "network".
In other words you still need the modem. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

Baxter just told me that they are giving them away down there in loafs of Wonder® bread, so maybe it's a geographical thing not being able to buy them in stores like you used to. :shrug:

Up here they disappeared and are tough to buy outsourced, BUT the phone company gives them to us....if you can wait for it to be mailed.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers