• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Squirrel Weapons

Started by vvarmitr, September 06, 2007, 11:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Some mighty fine squirrel equipment ya got there Larry! Avitar is cool too  :biggrin:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Wouldn't be much left of the squirrel would there?  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

frshwtr

woodlots fence rows 12ga. with #6 or 5 shot, in the mountains 22 hornet in a ruger 722; i know its over kill but i sit and take headshots only. yes i eat squirrel and the hornet isnt so bad with head shots, it also is good practice for the medium size stuff.

Hawks Feather

Ladobe,
Nice looking rifles.  I have a 36 cal. that I made for a high school social studies project.  Made of parts and pieces from all over, but it used to work for squirrels.  The accessories look pretty good.  What is the map on the horn of?  I always thought that it was a pretty neat way to keep track of where things were - sort of an old GPS unit.   :biggrin:

Jim,
Head shots only, unless you are one of the people that think that the head is the best eating.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 02, 2007, 07:28:32 AM

Jim,
Head shots only, unless you are one of the people that think that the head is the best eating.

Jerry

Gives a whole new meaning to the term Meat Head huh  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Ladobe

Stu/Jerry -

Thanks.   All the possibles are home made (horse blanket case, powder horn, neck and bowie knives, deer/buffalo bag and the calls).   The powder horn is one of two map horns I made early in my reenactment days with the Rocky Mountain Mountainmen (1970's) and has a period correct map of all the Utah/Wyoming rondezvous sites on it, among other foofarraw.   The antler call is also scrimed and mapped with one of my favorite predator hunting areas in the mid 60's.   Picture (aviitar) is from a Woods Walk (ML match) near here a few years ago.

Jim -

Head shots as suggested, or you can "bark" them with even 45, 50, 54 or large caliber ML's.   It really doesn't matter though.   While the MM ate ground diggers in a pinch, I've tried them a few times and eating them compared to tree rats is about like eating jack rabbits compared to cottontails.     You could survive on them... but.   Besides, the 32 with a PRB is only about equal to a 22LR that can be loaded up to a 22MAG with maxi balls ---- the 36 starts out about as a 22MAG with PRB and can be loaded up from there to handle coyotes cleanly with a PRB or bigger game with maxi's.   So neither routinely blow "meeces to pieces".

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Vincenator

I mostly use my 22 cal Marlin.Havent used my shotgun yet.For work I use a 70 something year old Crossman pelletgun to "remove"squirrels.I picked it up about 15 years ago at a flea market.I adapted a williams peep sight on it and its dead on! Dont know how many critters it has "removed"!Good little gun! :bowingsmilie:
Every day is good,some are just better!

vvarmitr

In all actualities I prefer the shotgun ...

Leaves on or off I know I can get squirrel w/ it. :wink:

12 or 20 gauge, it doesn't matter. I happen to have Coyote Kate's  12ga 1100 in the pix. :wink:

Bopeye

You guys got me wanting to go squirrel hunting now........... :eyebrownod:

As far as what gun........just whatever I feel like. Shotgun in whatever gauge or the 22 magnum or 22lr or I'm thinking about taking the AR..........wouldn't that be some good practice?  :laf:

I'm just kidding on the AR, that would be illegal in this state.  :confused:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

cb223

Kidding on the AR?

That is great practice.

I think that is legal here. I just can't shoot deer in the lower third of the state with a rifle.
CHAD

Bopeye

Quote from: cb223 on October 20, 2007, 09:44:27 PM
Kidding on the AR?

That is great practice.

I thought it was a great way to practice too, but I don't want them taking my gun, truck, dogs, license and money over a few tree rats........... :nono:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

securpro

I use my 10/22 or a Marlin 22mag bolt action no shot gun though (wife hates all those little pellets, cant says I blame her) at least till my new Magnum Research Magnum lite 17HMR w/baracuda stock shows up!! :eyebrow:

securpro
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

cb223

Quote from: Bopeye on October 21, 2007, 07:04:55 PM
Quote from: cb223 on October 20, 2007, 09:44:27 PM
Kidding on the AR?

That is great practice.

I thought it was a great way to practice too, but I don't want them taking my gun, truck, dogs, license and money over a few tree rats........... :nono:

I don't blame you Bop.

I'm quite sure the only thing that there is caliber restrictions on here is deer(shot gun or muzzle loader only, in the lower 1/3 of the state) and coyotes at nite(rifle, rimfire only and shotgun, no buckshot).Most every thing else is wide open.
CHAD

Arkansas lineman

I use a H&R Topper model 20 ga. It has a 3" chamber which is perfect for 3" nitro mag shells.I Know it sounds like overkill, But here in N E Arkansas the river bottom timber can be really tall. The gun is also light, easy to carry and kicks like a mule. Well two out of three aint bad.

otdrmn22250

Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500 12 gauge, H&R 12 gauge, 17 HMR Marlin 917, or a Savage mdl 12fv 22-250 or 223. The last 2 I use when I sit on the deck of the cabin, and the squirrels are 100+ on the edge of the woods.

vvarmitr

Quote from: otdrmn22250 on December 09, 2007, 06:29:06 PM
Savage mdl 12fv 22-250 or 223. The last 2 I use when I sit on the deck of the cabin, and the squirrels are 100+ on the edge of the woods.
He, he, he, he, he. Now that sounds like fun. :biggrin:

crazy_cottontail

Ruger mk 2 target pistol with a red dot on top here. Easy to carry when running the dogs.

otdrmn22250

I also have a 45-70 load I wanna try. It's 143 grn round ball over 8 grns. of Unique. It's really mild. Time delay at 40 yrds from the shot to the sound of impact.

Vincenator

Picked up a old H&R 265 Targeter .Its a bolt action with a 10 shot clip.handles nice so far .Just got the right peep sight for it,was going to scope it  but want to keep it simple as a truck gun.I'll sight it in tomorow,cant wait.
Every day is good,some are just better!

northern coyote

remington 34 .22lr or a stoeger uplander sidexside .410 up here in the hardoods
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time