• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

So...who actually uses or knows how to use a baitcaster?

Started by FinsnFur, May 22, 2017, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

I'm wondering how many people on here actually use them, or do know how to use them? :wo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I do but when I am not using my flyrod I use my ZEbco bullet reel and ugly stick combo. I don't have the patience to tune my pole/reel every time I have to put a different size lure on it with a baitcaster.  90% of the time when I am bass fishing I use a power bait worm and Gamakatsu hook with no weight on it either which doesn't cast very well on a baitcaster.

riverboss

I can't stand them unless I'm cat fishing with heavy lead sinkers.
I use a zebco 33 if I'm fishing artificial.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Okanagan

I use a baitcaster for small and medium sized salmon in rivers, though once in awhile I hook a big Chinook salmon on that rig while fishing for sockeye. 

Otherwise I use spinning reels for almost everything other than flyfishing and fishing big stuff in deep saltwater.    I have used baitcasters when fishing as a guest with borrowed gear and like them.

Hawks Feather

Yea, I have one and can't use it because it is too easy to use the other reels.

Jerry

slagmaker

I mostly use spinning gear. But I use a baitcaster whenever the lure I am using works better with it. But I also use the trusty Ole 33 or one a 202 might even use a 700 depending on what I am going after with it.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

HaMeR

Haven't owned one in years. But when I did fish all the time I sure did enjoy throwing spinners with it!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

centerfire_223

There is a time and place for all type of reels. I mostly use a bait caster, unless I am using a finesse type bait (drop shot, shaky head or really light weight plugs). Then I will use my open face reels. I have about 10 bait casters to every one open face.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

riverboss

Nasty I like the looks of that reel.
I need one on a 7' rod med action.

Dave

I'm using mine more often, but mainly due to some bad tendonitis going on in my right elbow.  I use my left arm with a baitcaster (holding/reeling in, but still cast mainly with my right) and all right arm with a spinning reel.  I'm liking it more and more, too.  Used to hate them, but it's probably because I've always bought low end garbage and finally broke down a few years back and bought a nice one.  This is for saltwater - freshwater I'm all spinning gear. 

slagmaker

Got to agree with the "ya get what ya pay for" thinking. I hated baitcaster till I got one that cost more than 100 bucks. That one changed my mind.

nastygunz

I have mine on a 6'6 ugly stik, really like it. Pretty rugged price I hope it holds up🐟💵🐟💵🐟💵🐟

Quote from: riverboss on May 23, 2017, 10:57:36 AM
Nasty I like the looks of that reel.
I need one on a 7' rod med action.

Okanagan

By way of tangent, I saw a flyrod set up with a special spincast reel that was a slick casting and retrieving unit.  The reel was mounted underslung in the usual fly reel seat, and had a lever that extended forward along the rod handle that released it to cast, rather than the button on the back like a nomal spincast.  It had to be a special purpose-built reel but I've never seen another one like it. 

Edited to add:  FOUND IT!  I started Googling and found such a spincast reel, an Underspin made by Daiwa.  I'm gonna get one of those.

FinsnFur

Well, I've got one that I don't want. I was thinking about giving it away in a little contest if there was enough people interested.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I had one of those reels on an ultra light set up and it worked pretty slick.

Quote from: Okanagan on May 23, 2017, 07:31:28 PM
By way of tangent, I saw a flyrod set up with a special spincast reel that was a slick casting and retrieving unit.  The reel was mounted underslung in the usual fly reel seat, and had a lever that extended forward along the rod handle that released it to cast, rather than the button on the back like a nomal spincast.  It had to be a special purpose-built reel but I've never seen another one like it. 

Edited to add:  FOUND IT!  I started Googling and found such a spincast reel, an Underspin made by Daiwa.  I'm gonna get one of those.

HaMeR

I found with mine,, It was an Abu-Garcia,, that using heavier line like 20lb & twisting my wrist to the left 1/4 turn on the snap of the wrist the line would peel off like it was hooked to a drill. This was a right hand cast.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 23, 2017, 09:33:17 PM
Well, I've got one that I don't want. I was thinking about giving it away in a little contest if there was enough people interested.

I'm interested, natch.  What's the contest?  Walk on coals in a campfire?  :biggrin:

nastygunz

I think you should video yourself getting a big birds nest with it and then shoot it multiple times beat it with a hammer set it on fire and run it over, I bet it would go viral!  :innocentwhistle: :highclap:

slagmaker

Quote from: Okanagan on May 24, 2017, 08:32:31 AM
Quote from: FinsnFur on May 23, 2017, 09:33:17 PM

I'm interested, natch.  What's the contest?  Walk on coals in a campfire?  :biggrin:

I am interested. Always up for a contest.