• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Watched a bald eagle catch a gopher

Started by Okanagan, January 13, 2009, 08:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Driving along a farm road the other day, I came to a 200 yard long section that was flooded with 2 or 3 inches of water running across the road.  I could see the yellow line so kept driving, slowly, and noticed a bald eagle lift off of a post on the right and swoop across the road 3 feet above the water, 80 yards ahead of me.  He soared up steep to 15 or 20 feet and whirled down in a dive,  then up again and down several times, wheeling and twisting.   I realized he was after something in the flooded knee high grass and weeds on the left side of the road.

When I was within 40 feet or less he grabbed something and turned across the road in front of me at eye level.  I thought he had missed as nothing was in his talons, but then saw what looked like a mole or gopher sized bundle of fur in his beak.  While flying right in front of me, he took the prey from his mouth with his foot.  In one deft move he twisted his head down and his right foot up and transferred the little critter from his beak into the grip of his talons.  He landed on the end post of a raspberry row on the right as I drew even with him.

As an added quirk, the fence post on the right where the eagle started and ended is in the US, and the mole or whatever was in Canada.  It was an international incident, an aerial raid by an undocumented alien.

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

That would be real cool to have seen.  I think falconry would be a neat sport to get into.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on January 13, 2009, 08:44:56 PM

As an added quirk, the fence post on the right where the eagle started and ended is in the US, and the mole or whatever was in Canada.  It was an international incident, an aerial raid by an undocumented alien.

:roflmao: That's funny, and I'm calling customs. That mole shoulda been checked at the border. :nofgr:  :laf:

That woulda been an awesome site to see.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

And you sir were doing what at this secluded border crossing?  :wo: