• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Todd and other Alaskan board members..

Started by Silencer, January 14, 2009, 12:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

How the heck do ya do it ?  I've always had a dream of living up there, but anymore as I get older I really dont think I could handle it. 
Yall are a certain breed, hats off to ya, my face still hurts from the -15 windchill this morning and thats nothing compared to what yall go through.   :bowingsmilie:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Dang Vic...I thought you could take the cold being an avid waterfowler and all. We'll have to get you up here on Lake Erie in the Layout boat to man you up a bit :biggrin:

Steve

Hawks Feather

How about your temps Jim?  The news  said that it was pretty darn cold  and that was without the chill factor.

Jerry

alscalls

Two guys behind where I work were working at the top of a cel phone tower all day today........... :sad3: Now way not me.....BRRRRRRRRR 14 deg and 200 ft up all day!!!  :nono: Not this hilbilly
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Todd Rahm

Ya get used to it after a while. Just dress in layers.  :biggrin:

In the last 10 days it went from -33 to 41 above today. Which is odd for this time of the year.  :confused: :confused:

Truth be told though, about retirement time I'll be ready to move down to the states to a more moderate weather pattern. I think wife is pondering Tennessee right now.

iahntr

Man, that's a little bit of a temp swing.
I think it's like -15 here right now, like -37 wind chill.
Supposed to get a little colder yet through the night.
Scott

Tikaani

Almost 21 days of temps colder than -35.  Had almost 14 at -45, ditto what Todd, says dress in layers, buy top of the line clothing, most of my stuff is made for dog mushers etc.  As for dealing with it, I find it a small price to pay to live in a place where I can hunt almost anywhere I want, almost all year long.  Think moose, grizzlies, black bears, caribou, wolves, dall sheep, mountain goats, the list goes on.  But there are days that the endless cold does wear on you.

Hunt hard, die tired

John

Two years ago -55 returning from trapline
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 14, 2009, 06:41:05 PM
How about your temps Jim?  The news  said that it was pretty darn cold  and that was without the chill factor.

Jerry

It's not too bad actually. -10 with - 28 windchills.
I wanna go hunting, I love hunting in this stuff. I just can't get my mornings from getting screwed up and getting out. :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Silencer

I need to get something to cover my face.  Most of everything fogs up my glasses.  -55 now thats darn right freezing !!!

KySongDog

Quote from: Silencer on January 15, 2009, 03:18:38 AM
I need to get something to cover my face.  Most of everything fogs up my glasses.  -55 now thats darn right freezing !!!

I have that fogging problem big time with a face mask.  Glasses fog up.   When possible I use contacts when I hunt now.

nailbender

-24 without the wind chill added this morning! The old truck is going to be groaning like an old woman but I just have to sneak in a couple stands. Supposed to hit 40 over the wekend, better get a snare line hung out. :eyebrow:

LORDDAL

Quote from: Tikaani on January 14, 2009, 10:44:47 PM
Almost 21 days of temps colder than -35.  Had almost 14 at -45, ditto what Todd, says dress in layers, buy top of the line clothing, most of my stuff is made for dog mushers etc.  As for dealing with it, I find it a small price to pay to live in a place where I can hunt almost anywhere I want, almost all year long.  Think moose, grizzlies, black bears, caribou, wolves, dall sheep, mountain goats, the list goes on.  But there are days that the endless cold does wear on you.

Hunt hard, die tired

John

Two years ago -55 returning from trapline

wow now thats one cool picture the ever elusive and hardly photographed Arctic Ninja .. I dont mind cold but -45 i dont think I could find enough anitfreeze (aka jeagermeister) to keep from freezing
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Silencer

Does a beard help in this weather ?  I've never been able to grow a decent one.

Yotehntr

Quote from: Todd Rahm on January 14, 2009, 09:16:06 PM

Truth be told though, about retirement time I'll be ready to move down to the states to a more moderate weather pattern. I think wife is pondering Tennessee right now.

:yoyo: Come on down Todd!  :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

nastygunz

They is callin for -35 below north of me and -15/-20 for my area.....it seems like yesterday I was bitching about ticks, mosquitoes, humidity  haha!

msmith

-45! GOOD NIGHT IRENE! The last time it got real cold around here, -25 that is, I jumped up in the truck to go to work and landed on the seat. It was like landing on a rock. It's +15 here right now going to get down to -2 tonight!  :sick2:  I digress to wimpiness. Like Silencer, my hat's off to you guys.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

FinsnFur

Right now it's a whopping -14 here with -30 windchills
Tomorrow morning is suppose to -21 with -36 windchills

Needless to say they have already canceled schools here :iroll:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Todd Rahm

When we tell ya the temps are -33 or -45 below, thats with out the wind chill factor.  Matter fact I don't know that I ever hear the words wild chill up here, its just what the mercury says generally.  :confused:

slagmaker

Its a whopping -5 here right now and only gona get colder. 
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.