• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Catfish Culprit

Started by studabaka, December 28, 2006, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Caught this little female in a catfish pond located just off a river. They seem to stick to the river during the summer, but come winter, they come looking for an easy fish dinner......not this time.

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

That is a beaut!  :yoyo:

That'll bring some good coin tanned. I've seen em hanging in a fur dealers shop up here, tanned and tagged for over $150
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

Yeah...... they are curently getting a good price tanned or raw. I'm stretching and air drying all of them and will see come the end of the season if I decide to tan them or just sell them raw through the auction. Everything else I'm planning on selling tanned.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Bopeye

I'm just guessing, but that looks like a river otter......is it?

They just recently re-introduced the river otter here in Tennessee........boy are they playing havoc on some of the local fish ponds.
Just how much fish can those bad boys eat in a day?
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

studabaka

Good guess. That's exactly what it is and they are thick around here. This is a 'medium' size one. Most of the ones I have gotten have been 1.5 ro 2x this size. They can eat a lot of fish quick. This farmer sought me out cause one day he had a pond full of catfish and [what seemed like] the next he had none. He restocked the pond this summer and I have a contract with him to monitor his ponds year round.

It seems like they frequent the ponds in the winter, which works well for me cause I get to trap them hard in the ponds and river when they are prime and pocket the fur value on top of the contract..... plus he lets me deer hunt, yote hunt, and trap other stuff...... not a bad gig when you can find it.  :biggrin:

Bopeye

That's what I call a sweet set-up right there Stu. I gotta find me a place like that.  :biggrin:

Brad H

We sure don't have too many of them. For SE Montana the region #7 quota for otter is 2. lol

Brad

nailbender

They reintroduced them around here. The fishermen are already seeing the impact. Limited trapping is being allowed only 3 yrs. after they stocked them.

studabaka

And the mate.... a bit larger and nice and dark. Same pond, different set.

FinsnFur

3 of a kind beats a pair.....you in? :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

Bopeye

Hawks Feather

Just don't get one of those "Royal Flushes".  I hear they wipe out everything.

Jerry

Bopeye

studabaka

I'll see your three and raise ya.....

FinsnFur

DOH!  :shck:    I'm out, I fold  :shrug:

:yoyo: Nice job. Are you tanning then Otters? Those things should bring some good coin.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

I was going to sell the otters raw as they were bringing a good price last year, but I was chatting with OK and he said the price fell cause China implemented a tariff. :madd:

:confused: so yes, I think I will be tanning them.

Funny..... back in the summer I was making preparations to put a boat on the river and seriously go for them..... but the rain has had the river going up, down, and several times out of it's banks. Funny how stuff works out.

Heck, If prices are what OK says, I have half a mind to buy a bunch raw. :wo:

bushmaster

gee stu, i had no idea that we've got otters round here.  ever trapped in uwharrie?
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

studabaka

I haven't trapped Uwharrie, though I have heard it holds a good number of cats.... and probably a lot of other fur.

awh

Stu....Your my hero. :bowingsmilie:
We can't touch them here. But if they come out of the river into our ponds I hope the DNR thinks of them as a nuisance as I do. :biggrin:

Very nice catches and pics.  :highclap:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.