• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What is this? 7-17

Started by remrogers, July 17, 2018, 10:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

remrogers

nastygunz

It looks like one of a variety of implements called an animal poke used to prevent livestock from getting through fences. My parents put one on me when I was a baby to keep me from getting out of the crib :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

remrogers

Well nasty, you are right. It is called a poke, used for livestock. Years ago some fences weren’t made very well, and if you had an ornery bull or cow that kept getting out, they were made to wear an animal poke. It’s difficult for them to climb or graze through a fence while wearing one of these around their neck. These are also used to stop horses from jumping over fences.

I wonder if it worked for nasty's folks??

nastygunz

If I had 10 giant barns I would fill every one of them with vintage  tools and farm equipment, love that old time stuff.  Where I'm from in  vermont a lot of it still gets used!  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Gat dangit!! I was just gonna say an animal poke to keep livestock from going through fences :doh2: :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

In actuality it is a garden sign post.  Marks the end of the rows.  Everyone knows you don't poke a bull. :naughty:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

Back in my childhood we had this huge Holstein bull name Old John.  one time we were messing with him a little bit out in the pasture and my brother picked up a rock and hit him right in the balls sac with it. That bull let out a Bellow and run right through the Barbwire fence and took off and kept going  :alscalls:

Took the old man and his friends and half the neighborhood to get him back under control and I never forget the old man leaning up against the truck looking at him in the field and shaking his head saying what the hell come over that old bull?😇😇