• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Elk Hunt!

Started by Dave, May 29, 2013, 08:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I put Dante in for a muzzleloader tag in Colorado and just found out he was successful in drawing a tag!  I'll be his guide as I used to do this quite a bit 20 years ago (hunt them, not guide for them).  Hot damn I'm psyched! 

KySongDog

That's great news!   Dante is lucky he's got an experienced guide.   

I've been in the lottery every year in Kentucky since it began for its elk hunt and have yet to be drawn.   :sad: 

HaMeR

Congratulations & Best of Luck Dave & Dante!!!!!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:

I'm hoping you get drawn too Johnny!!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Thats awesome. I bet he's just as pumped as Dad :eyebrownod:
When is the hunt?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

We head out Sept 11th and pack in on the 13th.  Muzzleloader starts on the 14th.  Unfortunately we have to be out by the following Thursday because of a family wedding on the 21st.   :madd:  By then they are rutting pretty good and we should be able to have some opportunities to go after a few.    I'm looking forward to showing Dante his first look at the Rockies, and being able to hike/camp/hunt out there!   :yoyo:

Semp, do you get points for your lottery to increase your odds in the following years?  PA has a lottery also, but I think it's $25 to apply.  I should start trying but feel the odds aren't worth the cost.  I've been trying for a Maine or NH moose tag, though.  Up there you get points to increase the odds in subsequent years.

Okanagan

That should be a fabulous hunt!  Dante is just the right age for this one.  The mountains are gorgeous that time of year.  Keep us up to speed on this one as you prep and as to how it turns out.

JohnP

September is the prime time out here and they will be bugling all night. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Sounds like a great time and great eating if you get one.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

I do believe come September we'll be looking at some pictures of a fine bull with Dante's smiling face right in the center.  I suspect the guide on the other hand, will be looking a might tired.  But smiling like a very proud father.  Regardless, Dante's going to be stringing up some fine memories with his father. :congrats:

Dave

coyote101

That's very exciting Dave. What a great opportunity for you and Dante. Congratulations to both of you.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

weedwalker

Good Luck on your hunt Dante.

Dave, Ky doesn't give points on our drawings. Since they just started the elk hunts a few years ago, there would be 40,000 hunters with the same points. And with them only drawing about 1000 a year, most hunters would be old and grey before they ever got a chance at a hunt. They do need to do something about people being drawn multipule times though. Even members of the same family being drawn multipule times year after year.. The drawings look a lil fishy every year. :wo:

FOsteology

I bet he's excited! Looking forward to hearing how his hunt goes for elk.

KySongDog

Quote from: Dave on May 29, 2013, 05:23:56 PM

Semp, do you get points for your lottery to increase your odds in the following years?

No points given in Kentucky's elk lottery.   There is a big controversy about starting a point system.   Some for it, some against it.

Quote from: weedwalker on May 30, 2013, 08:38:25 AM

Dave, Ky doesn't give points on our drawings. Since they just started the elk hunts a few years ago,..............

They started the drawings 13 years ago come this October.   Time is flying by, Ed.   :laf:

JohnP

We are on a point system out here, but years ago if drawn you had to sit out two years.  Liked it better that way than the points. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Dave

A few more weeks, by God! and we'll be in the high country chasing bulls!!!   :jump:
We decided to pack ourselves in (approx 6 miles into Eagles Nest Wilderness Area) instead of spending $450 (each way) to have an outfitter haul our gear.
I'm thinking we'll be fine.  A friend is coming out and archery hunting, so there will be three of us in camp.  I've been hiking every few days in preparation and just got back from a 5 mile hike with a 55 lb backpack, and feeling pretty good.  My only concern is the altitude as we are starting at 9200 ft and probably hunting around 10,500.  You can't really prep for that living a few hundred ft above sea level.    :sad3:

FinsnFur

You practiced hiking with a 55lb pack on your back? Holy cow I dont know what altitude I could even do THAT at. I come home at the end of the day and flop on the floor under the ceiling fan and pass out for an hour. :sleep:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Packing in will be the easy part. Wait till you have to pack out an elk!  :hahaha:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Going from sea level to 9200 ft, hiking and packing weight?   Good luck, Dave.  You are right to worry about that altitude.   It takes a while to get acclimated.  The air is thin and your lungs will burn.   

nailbender

Quote from: Dave on August 29, 2013, 06:19:48 PM
A few more weeks, by God! and we'll be in the high country chasing bulls!!!   :jump:
We decided to pack ourselves in (approx 6 miles into Eagles Nest Wilderness Area) instead of spending $450 (each way) to have an outfitter haul our gear.
I'm thinking we'll be fine.  A friend is coming out and archery hunting, so there will be three of us in camp.  I've bee n hiking every few days in preparation and just got back from a 5 mile hike with a 55 lb backpack, and feeling pretty good.  My only concern is the altitude as we are starting at 9200 ft and probably hunting around 10,500.  You can't really prep for that living a few hundred ft above sea level.    :sad3:
You lucky devils! Spend a day  at 7000 preppin' before you head up and you'll be fine.  Can't wait for the story!

nailbender

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 29, 2013, 06:44:20 PM
You practiced hiking with a 55lb pack on your back? Holy cow I dont know what altitude I could even do THAT at. I come home at the end of the day and flop on the floor under the ceiling fan and pass out for an hour. :sleep:
I have to admit to the same exercise routine. :shrug:power naps rule!