• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

North to Alaska

Started by coyote101, September 04, 2014, 09:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I'm heading back to Alaska in the morning for another moose/wolf hunt with my old Army buddy. I'll get to Anchorage tomorrow evening, we'll load up on Saturday and head out to the hunting area on Sunday. Season opens Monday.

The requirements for a legal moose for a nonresident are quite high (minimum 50 inch spread or at least 4 brow tines on one side) and I won't be surprised if I don't see a legal bull. Wolves, however are becoming quite prolific in the area, no tag is required for nonresidents, and the limit has been raised to ten wolves. I hope to spend a good deal of time trying to call a wolf and would be just as happy shooting a wolf as a moose.  :biggrin:

Wish me luck. Pictures to follow in a few weeks.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Best of luck!!  Have a great time.  That's some pretty country this time of year.

Dale

good luck, hope the moose cooperate... 
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

HaMeR

Best of Luck Pat!! Hope you have a great time,, well I know you will,, & get a Wolf AND your Moose!!!!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nailbender

Okanagan

Can't wait to hear the stories!  Man I wish I could go along and just call stuff and pack meat. 

I'm sure you're way ahead of me on this but be keerful of grizz when calling wolves.    In northern BC I quit calling wolves in one area due to grizzlies coming in, and am quite selective about choosing stands where no bear can get close without me being aware of him.  It will make for better stories however...   :alscalls:

Todd Rahm

Good luck Pat!!' What unit ya gona be in?

JohnP

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Good luck with the hunt.  Remember you have to eat what you shoot in Alaska....     :biggrin:

Jerry

coyote101

Quote from: Okanagan on September 04, 2014, 06:20:55 PM
I'm sure you're way ahead of me on this but be keerful of grizz when calling wolves.    In northern BC I quit calling wolves in one area due to grizzlies coming in, and am quite selective about choosing stands where no bear can get close without me being aware of him.  It will make for better stories however...   :alscalls:

I would love to see a grizzly, but not one that was charging in looking for a free and easy meal.  :holdon: I don't think I'll do any calling by myself (although I did the last time I was there)  :doh2: and the guys I am with will have grizzly tags.

Quote from: Todd Rahm on September 04, 2014, 06:25:44 PM
Good luck Pat!!' What unit ya gona be in?

Unit 12 Todd

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Good luck Pat. Those are some pretty lenient Wolf regulations. I'm kinda rooting for ya to get a wolf :eyebrownod:
Above all...be safe
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Ah, you'll do great up there. Hunted the area in the past for Bou.

Again, good luck and safe hunt!

msmith

Good luck, stay safe, and LOTS of pics!  :biggrin:
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Dave

Good Luck Pat!!!
Can't wait to here some stories and see some pics.

Coulter

Best of luck to ya Pat...have fun and enjoy the north country.

Steve

FOsteology

Hawks Feather

No updates from Pat.  Maybe the wolves got him.    :sad3:

Jerry

KySongDog

He probably doesn't have communications ability where he is at.   Cell phone coverage is, well, spotty to say the least.   :biggrin:   

He needs one of those communication units like Okanagan has. 

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Semp on September 09, 2014, 02:44:53 PM
He probably doesn't have communications ability where he is at.   Cell phone coverage is, well, spotty to say the least.   :biggrin:   

He needs one of those communication units like Okanagan has.

How is he going to keep up with all the exciting things that are happening here?  Someone go rescue him from that Russian ice box.     :biggrin:

Jerry

coyote101

More to follow when I get home next week.

Pat
NRA Life Member