• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

It only took me four years!

Started by code, November 12, 2015, 10:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

code

When I first started elk hunting my uncle told me it takes 5 years to get your first roosevelt elk. Four years later I stood over my first bull...he wasn't far off.

It rained 3 inches the day I shot him. Rubber boots, a heavy rain jacket and commercial fishing rain pants kept me dry.

The bull isn't big but he sure tastes good.

Don't let the grass fool you. We had to pack him .8 miles for 1300 feet of elevation gain to get him to the nearest road.

180gr. Federal Fusion out of a 30-06.
Right: High lung shot at 75 yards
Left: Finishing neck shot at 5 yards

"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

pitw

Nice job Code.  Feel proud as you deserve to. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Thats awesome Code.
I woulda had to eat him right there. I think my packin up hill days are packed in. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Congrats Cody!
HuntnCarve and I were lucky enough to have lunch with your grandfather and cousins here in the east yesterday and got to hear the whole story - you guys REALLY get after 'em out there!  Well done  :congrats:

Okanagan

Thanks for posting.  In that black and white photo you look so much like my Dad that it is eerie, in a good way.  He would be proud of you. 

That scope on the rifle is the one from Fosteology's contest isn't it? 

code

Forgot to mention that! This is the first blood for the scope I won from Fosteology's contest! It worked like a dream! Thanks Fosteology!!!
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on the elk.  The elk that I have eaten is wonderful and it was not fresh.  That has to be even better.

Jerry

pitw

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 13, 2015, 11:31:18 AM
Congratulations on the elk.  The elk that I have eaten is wonderful and it was not fresh.  That has to be even better.

Jerry

Jerry after a pack like that it would taste great even if'n I cooked it. :readthis:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Dale

congratulations... good to see the younger generations getting out and hunting hard...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

coyote101

Congratulations Cody.  :congrats: :congrats: Thanks for sharing the story and photos. I really like that black and white.  :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bambam

JohnP

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FOsteology

Congrats!

No pictures are showing up on my 'puter.

Glad to hear the scope has served you well, and is now properly bloodied!

Okanagan

Quote from: FOsteology on November 16, 2015, 02:26:44 PM
Congrats!

No pictures are showing up on my 'puter.

Glad to hear the scope has served you well, and is now properly bloodied!

Pics have disappeared from my view also.  I helped Cody sight in rifle & scope late this summer on a day of rain and fog when we had to wait at times for fog to let us see a target at 100 yards.

FOsteology

Yes, I've stumbled around in the rain forest a few times near Amanda Park. I imagine this time of year it's extremely wet... likely raining sideways.

I hear tell from the old boys that hunt the area, there use to be some really good elk. Seems the past decade all I've heard is bitching about Indians shooting up everything in the area, while they leave their land alone.

Whereabouts near Amanda Park?

Okanagan

Quote from: FOsteology on November 16, 2015, 05:47:15 PM
Yes, I've stumbled around in the rain forest a few times near Amanda Park. I imagine this time of year it's extremely wet... likely raining sideways.

I hear tell from the old boys that hunt the area, there use to be some really good elk. Seems the past decade all I've heard is bitching about Indians shooting up everything in the area, while they leave their land alone.

Whereabouts near Amanda Park?

I haven't heard details on this bull yet, but they usually hunt north of Amanda Park, closer to Forks. 

FOsteology

I've stumbled around Forks too, as well as Kalaloch. In fact, did 1/3 of my hunting in the Olympic National Forest near Kalaloch.

Okanagan

Quote from: FOsteology on November 16, 2015, 09:09:55 PM
I've stumbled around Forks too, as well as Kalaloch. In fact, did 1/3 of my hunting in the Olympic National Forest near Kalaloch.

I've been intending to take my wife to Kalaloch Lodge sometime this Fall but it looks like it will be winter or spring before we get to it.  She likes the place and her family used to camp there when she was growing up.  The beach and creek mouth view from the restaurant is one of my favorites as a breakfast place. 

FOsteology

Yes it does!
Bearmanprick and I had breakfast there a time or two. It's on my list to take the wife and stay in one of the cabins and tool around Hwy 101 and do a bit of hiking and exploring. Beautiful scenery.

FinsnFur

By the looks of the coding used to post the pictures, they were posted VIA facebook. They are being called from a secured server and facebook is basically saying "oh no you dont". But i'm not sure if facebook is having a server issue or if they have just put the kabosh on the images because they are being leeched from their server.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com