• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Where is my Deer Hunters At?

Started by MDM, August 19, 2008, 06:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Some of our deer seasons started Sept. 10, not counting earlier bow seasons, and some will go till Dec. 10.  I've been too busy to get out, but am aching, wishing I could do a backpack hunt to an area where in years past I've killed some massive mule deer bucks in open alpine or in the steep lanes of sub alpine scrub timber and meadows.  Work sure gets in the way of a man's hunting.

I call blacktail bucks in late Oct. to mid Nov. if I can get the time, rattle whitetails if I can get over into their country in late November and for the past two years have managed to be hunting mule deer on the last two days of the Dec., hunt.  That is in Christmas card snow and forest.  For that last one I hunt a migration route all in forest.  The mule deer are usually drifting down out of the high country along a broad ridge with a few logging roads and some clear cuts.   I still hunt through the timber opposite to the migration, and call bucks.

Our regular season limit is three deer and though I have killed three deer some seasons, I have never managed to kill bucks of all three kinds in one season: blacktail, mule deer and whitetail.  Blacktail is the tough one.  Whitetail is the easiest in this part of the world.

I'm fortunate and blessed out of my socks with the hunting available to me, and am grateful.

cb223

In MI early antlerless season was Sept 18 - 22. I shot a doe.

Youth season was Sept. 27 - 28. My son shot his first deer. I've got 2 deer in the freezer already!
CHAD

Kuipdog

Disabled seasom started Sept. 20, I got mine Sept 26. Here it is.
Kuipdog

Frogman

Whoa Kuip . . .
    That's a nice buck!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

Very Nice Deer !!!!!

Kuipdog

Was that a bow kill or rifle don't matter it is still a nice deer
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Kuipdog

During disabled season you can use shotgun, handgun, muzzleloader, or bow. I used a shotgun.
Kuipdog

vvarmitr

Kuipdog: I don't which is closer to being a Boone & Crockett?  :wo:   The deer's rack or the smile on your face!  :biggrin:
:laf:

Kuipdog

That funny!! I might agree with the smile!! I was thrilled when he came walking in!!
Kuipdog

Okanagan

Whooeee!!  That's a dinger of a buck, and a great photo.  Congratulations.  Got more of the story? 

iahntr

Very nice kuipdog !!!
That's a beauty!
Congratulations!!  :highclap:  :congrats:
Scott

Kuipdog

I was hunting in Keosauqua, IA with an organization that takes disabled hunters out. I went out sept 26 and my guide put me in a blind over an alfalfa field. We were in the blind about 1 1/2 hours when the deer started to show up. I saw 2 bucks, a small 6pt and a shooter 8. I was going to shoot the 8 when my guide leans over and says "do you want an 8 or a 10?" I said " a 10 would be better". It was the deer at the back of the pack. He told me to not look at the antlers and just watch the body and find where I was going to shoot it. From that point on I only looked at that deer and its body. There was 4 bucks that came out and 3 does. I only watched my deer, and its body.

They were about 127yrds and walking our way. The 10pt was walking towards the trees and I thought I had lost my shot, but he turned and walked towards our blind. I let them get to about 55 yards and my guide says you gonna shoot him or wait till he gets in the blind with us? I said I was going to shoot and I waited till he stopped and shot him right behind the shoulder. He ran about 25 yards and stopped and hunkered over but didn't go down. I was nervous I got a bad hit, but we reran the video and it was a good shot. then the deer headed for the timber and I fired a second round that missed as he entered the timber. We waited 20 minutes and then went looking but couldn't find him. I was almost sick.

My guide knew a guy with a tracking dog and he said he was making a call. The guy shows up with a weiner dog!! This little dog found that deer in 10 minutes. It was impressive. We hauled him out. more like they pulled him out. He was huge and not just the antlers. He weighed 210 field dressed!! I really had a great time with my guide and I owe him big. I never thought I would have that kind of opportunity just sitting over an alfalfa field!
Kuipdog

KySongDog

Nice story and a very fine deer.   :congrats: