• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rifled choke tube?

Started by Okanagan, August 07, 2019, 12:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Do they work?  Are they any good?

I should have asked before I bought, but I got one on a sort of impulse this morning.  I found a Carlsen's cylinder choke tube on sale for $13 at Optics Planet and wanted one for shooting Federal Flite Control Wad buckshot at deer this Fall.  For another $38 I also bought a Carlsen's rifled choke tube and got free shipping.  Sucker for a deal!

My plan is to hunt the local flatlands for deer this Fall, in a shotgun only area.  I am hoping to get at least a 40 yard gun out of the 3" Federal 00 buckshot.  It would be nice if the rifled choke tube would get me out to 100 yards with enough accuracy for deer.  Any experience with these things?

Coyotes-R-Us

Not with buck shot.
No energy left at 100 yards.
I shoot plane of Foster type slugs, in my 870 and kill deer at 70 to 00 yards with just the shotgun bead sight.
I have only a .669 extended choke tube on it .
old is the new young

Coyotes-R-Us

Wow no way to correct the typos sorry.
Should say ;
Not with buck shot.
No energy left at 100 yards.
I shoot plane old Foster type slugs, in my 870 and kill deer at 70 to 100 yards with just the shotgun bead sight.
I have only a .669 extended choke ported tube on it .

old is the new young

Okanagan

Thanks.  Good info.  I left out the word slug when I switched to talking about the rifled choke tube.  I want to try the cylinder choke for Federal Buckshot with its plastic sleeve, and also try some slugs with the rifled choke tube in place.  At this point I'm learning my limitations with each option.