• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Small Game Hunting on the Decline

Started by KySongDog, January 21, 2009, 10:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I saw an article in NRA's American Hunter about the decline of small game hunting.  Some disturbing statistics:

1996-2006 Hunting Participation   (excludes hunters under 16)

1996                    2006           Percent of Loss

Big Game                       11,288,000             10,682,000             -10

Small Game                     6,945,000               4,797,000             -31

Migratory Bird                  3,073,000                2,293,000            -25

Other Game                    1,521,000                1,128,000             -26

Several reasons were cited for the decline.  Some states ban Sunday hunting.  With lots more big game (deer) and limited vacation time, small game hunting has suffered.

A study at the Michigan Department of Natural Resources says that small game hunting has declined 70% in the past 50 years.   

I have to admit that I *used* to be an avid squirrel hunter.   I think I'm gonna have to find time for those tree rats again. 

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

When I was first married I hunted more and the reason was because I was hunting to put food on the table.  At that time I was getting paid $4,900 to teach, Becky was still in college, and I took my first grad class.  Two years later when Becky graduated from college we were both teaching and our income went form $5,000 to $10,000 and we could afford to get meat at the grocery.  About that time was when the DDT was starting to really taking a toll on pheasants in this part of the state, which reduced many hunters.  I am again hunting deer to put quality meat (at a much reduced price) on the our and the daughters' tables.  But I am retired and can take the time to sit out there all day and freeze.

Since I don't think that the new president will be able to pull off all that he has said he will do, there may be more  people heading to the fields to put food on the table.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 21, 2009, 11:14:09 AM

Since I don't think that the new president will be able to pull off all that he has said he will do, there may be more  people heading to the fields to put food on the table.

True! :eyebrownod: There may be a huge increase by this time next year.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

QuoteThere may be a huge increase by this time next year.

And they will all be throwing rocks at em.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

sling shots and pour your own ammo.  when I was a kid I had one of them surgical rubber banded slingers, that would drop em if you were good enough.

Hawks Feather

Unless you were smart and starting stocking up!    :shock2:   Not that I would do anything like that, but someone else might.  

Jerry

P.S.  If you haven't started, better get going.

HaMeR

The stocking up dilemma has me perplexed. IF he gets his way & gets the serialized ammo pushed thru we will be required to destroy all ammo plus any reloaded ammo. The only ammo lawful to own will be the junk we are required to buy thru the gubment. prolly cuz i haint not smart nuff to own one of them thar firestick thingys And if I'm real lucky I will be able to afford it.  A lot of folks have the misconception that we can keep what we stock up on. It won't be written that way. They also believe reloading will be legal. That will not be the case either. As of right now my State & County neither one have enough cells to hold us all.  :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 21, 2009, 04:48:54 PM
Unless you were smart and starting stocking up!     :shck:  Not that I would do anything like that, but someone else might.  

Not me!  I wouldn't do anything like that either.   :biggrin:

Bopeye

Yep. Thank GOD WE MADE HISTORY!! NOT!!!!
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Silencer

QuoteAs of right now my State & County neither one have enough cells to hold us all.

Thats a good point Glen, everybody and their brother even sister hunt around here and own guns.
Taxes would have to be raised even more so to build enough jail cells...

Jimmie in Ky

Good thing is they won't have the tax base to build more jails.  :nono: I am going primitive myself. Can't keep me from throing rocks  :biggrin: Jimmie