• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Guns must be cased at LBL

Started by KySongDog, December 17, 2009, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

QuoteThat new rule takes effect February 22, I think.  It was one of the last things the Bush administration got done before leaving.

:yoyo: :highclap: :congrats:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

I might add that Obama and his cronies tried every trick in the book to BAN guns in parks.  In the end, the rule was tacked on to the credit card bill and he had to swallow it or lose that bill.

weedwalker

I just sent an e-mail to LBL to ask them about the CCW permits. I'll post their answer when I get one.

Frogman

Thanks for looking into this stuff guys.  I want to be legal! 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

This is just like everything else the government gets involved in.  Bureaucratic red tape, regulations, interpretations, ad nauseum.   The government plays "gotcha" at every chance they get.   :argh:

Next they will say you have to have your gun CASED, UNLOADED, and FIRING PIN REMOVED before starting your vehicles engine.    :argh:

weedwalker

I'm still waiting for LBLs responce on CCW permits. :shrug: I'll post it as soon as I get it.

JDMiller

I'm there regular.... I'm unaware that anything has changed concerning CCDW ... LBL dont honor it. I have mine but dont carry concealed in my vehicle or on my person there. Right now... small game seasons ongoing.... rimfire pistols are legal. In February.... centerfire pistols will be allowed. You can have.... just dont conceal.

Also.... on the subject of LBL law enforcement.... I'm good friends with a few of the guys...their good people. Their federal officers with full law enforcement authority. They enforce all federal & state laws.... including speeding, DUI... everything. Its a good idea to know the rules & follow them... they will issue citations.

As far as Ky's firearm rules (not LBL's)..... there are none concerning concerning being cased or unloaded. Firearms can be loaded and in plain sight...nothing ilegal.  You can even carry a loaded handgun concealed in the automobiles glove box.... without a CCDW. Take note...it is the glove box...not a console storage..door panel or anywhere else. Has to be in the glove box. 

Jimmie in Ky

I agree with Jd on the good people part.  You get in a tight they are there to help. You need info they are there to help. Even tell you the heaviest areas of concentration of critters you may be after. Bust the law and they can be your worst nightmare if you want to get huffy about it. Many of them are ex something or other, CIA, SEALS, you name it. But they all have hearts of gold. Jimmie

slagmaker

Quote from: JDMiller on December 19, 2009, 10:08:14 PM
You can even carry a loaded handgun concealed in the automobiles glove box.... without a CCDW. Take note...it is the glove box...not a console storage..door panel or anywhere else. Has to be in the glove box. 

But as I found out the definition of "glove box" is up to the officers descretion. :readthis: Cost my cousin a firearm and $1500 to learn that lesson :argh:. He didnt try to argue or anything. The LEO "local sheriff" saw the firearm in the "glove box, the lockable box on the passanger side of the dash"  when he was getting his registration and next thing ya know consficated firearm and a night in jail till the judges were in the next day. He got handed a fine and consfication/no return of the pistol in question. He thought he was legal "permit, proper way to carry in vehicle...etc." and the LEO thought he wasnt. Guess who wins in that situation. :innocentwhistle: This all happened in 2007 just south of the Evansville area down around Henderson KY.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

If the KY sheriff confiscated the gun from the glove box, he was wrong.  And your cousin would win in court.  As long as your cousin is not a felon, that is.   It is NOT up to officer discretion.  It is KY state law that you can carry a handgun in the glove box.  

coyote101

Semp is right, there was no crime, provided the pistol was in the FACTORY INSTALLED glove box.

Kentucky Revised Statute
527.020 Carrying concealed deadly weapon.
(1) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon when he or she carries concealed a firearm or other deadly weapon on or about his or her person.
(8) A firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a glove compartment of a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction.
(9) Carrying a concealed weapon is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the defendant has been previously convicted of a felony in which a deadly weapon was possessed, used, or displayed, in which case it is a Class D felony.
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

slagmaker

Kyle has no felony's. At least not to my knowledge. The gun was in the factory installed box, at least there were no modifications to his truck at the time of the incedient. The Arresting office stopped him for speeding and failure to stop at a stop sign. Apon asking him for his license and regestration he saw the said firearm inside the "glove box" and that was the reason that the officer gave for searching the vehicle. Apon searching the vehicle and finding nothing in the way of contraband the officer procided to read Kyle his wrights. He then handcuffed Kyle placed him in the rear seat of his cruiser and then called for a recovery vehicle to have the truck towed to an impound. Kyle sat in a cell for 18 hours before he had his time in front of the judge. The judge then said that the officer was correct in confiscating his firearm and told Kyle that it was unlawfull to carry any loaded firearm in a motor vehicle unless he was a LEO or of a state agency that has armed employees. Apon this the judge gave the rulling that the said firearm was forfeted to the state and Kyle was fined 1500 dollars and had to pay the tow/impound billl before he could get his truck back. Strangly enough the speeding and failure to obey a stop sign never came up.

I am not saying that this was done in the confines of the law but it was abviously done in the confines of that judges law.

Hey same county back in the 80's me and some scouts were comming back from camp when our scout master was pulled over and told that he didnt pay for gas. YES HE DID!! all of us scouts saw him pay. He was made to pay for the gas again on threat of all of us being taken in to custody of the state child protective services while he sat in jail waiting on a judges rulling.

My point. there are bad cops and judges out there and I know of a couple in the Henderson KY area.

If you ask me the firearm is now in the collection of either the judge or the sherriff that stopped Kyle.

I know the police in this area will tell you that you were driving left of center so that they have a reason to pull you over. That happened to me on 3 nights runing. On the 4th night I told the office that before he said anything I had to inform him that the camera on my dash could not only see him but hear him as well. I was not pulled over anymore following that.

HaMeR

Was the gun loaded? The Judge said "it was unlawfull to carry any loaded firearm in a motor vehicle unless he was a LEO or of a state agency that has armed employees."

The posted Reg doesn't mention loaded/unloaded in it. Maybe that is where it went bad for Kyle.  :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

I am told that a pa LTCF permit is honored in KY.  is it not now?  man gun laws are screwy in this country.  I never really knew how bad they were till I got my LTCF permit   or known as a CCP.  Or a LCP or whatever you guys call em.  I was plannin on carrying if I ever made it down to ky this year either for quading or for hunting.  I just don't want to end up in a ky county jail cell for a night.

I was going off of this http://www.handgunlaw.us/
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

slagmaker

Quote from: HaMeR on December 21, 2009, 07:57:54 AM
Was the gun loaded? The Judge said "it was unlawfull to carry any loaded firearm in a motor vehicle unless he was a LEO or of a state agency that has armed employees."

The posted Reg doesn't mention loaded/unloaded in it. Maybe that is where it went bad for Kyle.  :shrug:

I really couldnt tell you what went wrong for him :shrug:. I have heard other horror stories come from that area of KY as well. I have personaly never had a problem other than when Mr. Shouse was told he didnt pay for gas. I have been to the LBL area several times and have had small run ins with johnny law. Just your run of the mill traffic stops checking the out of state guy. All of them were just as nice as can be. In fact one was so nice it was bringing into question his man hood. The police in the LBL area are usually very frendly cause they dont want to run off the tourists/sportsman. South and West of Henderson on the highways and byways I watch my P's and Q's. Them guys aint friendly at all.

HaMeR

Just wondering. Thanks.  :biggrin:

We'll be unloading & casing our rifles during the LBL & won't have any handguns so we should be good.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

weedwalker

BigBen, Ky honours ALL other states Concieled Carry Permits. But over at the LBL is Federal property, not state, so they have their own rules. Any other place in the state you're OK to have it while 4-wheelin'.

By the way, I'm still waiting for their reply to my e-mail. :shrug:

Palegroe

I can't say I’ve had the same experiences that slagmaker has,  I just moved to Henderson about 3 years ago from a much smaller town in Ky.  I went to the court house to get my drivers license changed over walked through the door and there set the only metal detector I had ever seen.  When i went through my pocket knife set it off,  the officer said i couldn't take it in the court house and that i would have to take it to my vehicle.  He was an older gentlemen and we got to talking then I asked him if he could hold onto it while i got my license made and he said he wasn't suppose to but he would stick it in his pocket while i was in there and just stop back and get it on my way out.  I have a CCW and pack just about everyday but have never been pulled over so don't have any experience there.  In my CCW class they did say that if you are stopped you need to tell the officer first thing when he steps up to the window that you have a firearm in the vehicle and if you don't and they find it under any circumstance there can be issues and the way laws are written it can always be called something.  If he didn’t have a CCW it could be called concealing a firearm or if he was under is it 18 or 21 he isn’t even suppose to have a handgun so you never know the whole story.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

KySongDog

Quote from: Palegroe on December 21, 2009, 10:42:16 PM
  In my CCW class they did say that if you are stopped you need to tell the officer first thing when he steps up to the window that you have a firearm in the vehicle and if you don't and they find it under any circumstance there can be issues and the way laws are written it can always be called something. 

In KY I don't think you have to tell the officer you are carrying.  I never have and I have been stopped a time or two.  Besides he will know this as soon as he runs your name through the computer.  I was one of the first in KY to get a CCW so they may have changed the law since then.   :shrug:

weedwalker

Quote from: Semp on December 21, 2009, 10:57:19 PMI was one of the first in KY to get a CCW so they may have changed the law since then.   :shrug:

I did mine either the 1st or 2nd day it was available in Ky. I got a 4 digit liscence # in the low 2000's. There were a lot of people that sent them in right away.
I have to go by this morning and give them another $60 to renew it.