• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LBL February 5th, 6th, 7th

Started by CCP, August 13, 2009, 07:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palegroe

Raven42 when hunting with topdawg when you set down make sure your gun is pointed toward the direction he isn't pointed and the safety is off, the animuls don't like to take the gun off safety for ya when they get there. 
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

Jimmie in Ky

topdawg

i will be heading up to the lbl mon or tues if i can find some one to split the cabin or hotel with me untill i think wed when my cabin buddys show up
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

Raven42

I did a little recon in LBL today. I sat three stands with no luck, but I’m still learning.  :shrug: Anyway, there seems to be a lot of good sign in areas 7, 9 and the south part of 10. :highclap: There was quite a lot of scat and a lot of tracks. I will be back in LBL tomorrow if anyone in this area would like to join me or if any one would like me to take a look at any other area. Feel free to give me a call (270) 227-2105
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. (Fred Bear)

HaMeR

QuoteAs stated before the LBL hunt is not about any one individual or select group but rather everyone that attends. This even includes first timers and non FnF members because all voices that attend will be heard.

If anyone has any suggestions on topics that should be brought up at the next LBL post them here in this post.

THANKS
Richard B.
CCP

Just wondering if we want to set a meeting time for this like on Thur/Friday evening at like 7PM around a campfire to discuss things. Like next years dates or whatever giveaways or events one might think would be fun to have. It would be nice if we can have as many folks there as possible for ideas.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Jimmie in Ky

I don't think we need ot worry about the dates. We are getting to be legend in two states. Every one knows it is hte first weekend in febraury. The folks at the restaraunt were asked about iut back in hte fall and the fellows mentioned coming back for it.

What worries me is hte numbers are growing to a point that we may have to be much more organized than we have been.It's a rough guess but 70 may be possible this year. Just not sure because not all let me knwo one way or the other. Plus we have had a potload that just heard about it and are planning on showing up from the local area.  I don't see the drawing as being able to handle this.

Chet Bop and I dreamed of this way back when. But the reality is a bit overwhelming tha tsuch a get together of friends could atract so many. Jimmie

HaMeR

Would 60-70 people be the biggest turnout to date? If so we can just see how things are gonna go this time around. Heck it might just go smoother than ever. I think Chet, Bop, & yourself,, the Founding Father of the LBL  :biggrin: ,, should set the guidelines for this to follow. For example it cannot be later than the 1st FULL weekend in February. It cannot be in January ever. I can't promise I will be at every one but after having been to Redbird I think this is a great get together & would like to see it continue to be one. I also don't like big government so keeping things simple with just a few rules would be nice.

I'm thinking others have their thoughts on this too so yall might as well spill em here.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Quote from: HaMeR on January 27, 2010, 06:40:24 AM
I'm thinking others have their thoughts on this too so yall might as well spill em here.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

OK here's an question :rolleye:.  Now that you have turned this thing into an international affair what are you going to do to control all the whacko's coming to the LBL :wo:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

There are plenty of tall trees and they make new rope everyday Barry  :eyebrownod: Heck I even have an old rope or two if I really don't like them  :eyebrownod: And Ky Lake is thirty feet deep just off Cedar Campground  :biggrin:

I am not talking about more rules. Just more to aid everyone we can in this sport. Scouting lessons and sign reading, setup ideas,  We have so many totally green hunters coming this time it could benefit them greatly to take some little piece of knowledge home wiht them they can use besides how to work the latrest in calls or see the customs many of us now use. Even a drawing to put some of them with an experience hunter could be a possibility.

Our drawing of goodies is not going ot be able to keep up either. There's no way at present we can see to it that every one takes something home. We need ot find a way to expand it or drop it all together.

And the godfather to this little shindig would have to be Bopeye. It was his idea and Chet and I jumped on for the ride. There have been many others since that helped to keep this going. Weedwalker jumped in this year and helped with this at Ky hunting forum, which is where many of these newbies are coming from this year. So we have to blame this years spurt in growth on Ed.  :eyebrownod: Jimmie

KySongDog

There are lots old homestead wells in the LBL.  Add a bag of lime and ....................   buh-bye

Jimmie in Ky

We also forgtot the old storage pits too,Semp. They are hard for me to find so I doubt anyone else would either  :biggrin: Jimmie

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

Raven42

I was just curious as to what caliber you all will be shooting. Also will you be carrying both rifle and and shotgun to each stand. I just go a new Rem700 .308 and really want to take something with that. I know that seems to be a little big though. Thanks and look fwd to seeing what kind of hardware you all will be packing.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. (Fred Bear)

CCP

QuoteI was just curious as to what caliber you all will be shooting.

40 S&W
300 Whisper
22 Mag
12Ga Rem 870

More than likely I will tote the 40S&W or 870 most of the time. I will only take 1gun in the woods at a time. It's just sometimes i change my way of setting up and I will have a gun there for it to choose from.

The 308 ill be good as long as it doesn't have like a 10x50 scope on it. low power scopes are best there for the shots aint that far in most cases.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

HaMeR

Marlin lever 357 with 180gr'ers!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

CCP

QuoteMarlin lever 357 with 180gr'ers!!

Got some footage of a guy shooting one of those on stand. He said he could hit a can at 100yards consistently with his iron sights. After filming him miss a coyote at 30,60 and 80 yards I started hoping we could call a coyote in with a can strapped on it so he could hit it. :laf:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

HaMeR

:laf: :laf:  The best I can do is 1 1/2" at 100yards. It's usually about 2" but with that much lead it's gonna bleed out some time.  :laf: :laf:  Besides we're only gonna be shooting 50yds tops in there I think.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

Thats funny Rich

I have the 44 Mag Marlin lever action and I have smoked groundhogs at 200 yards with 200 grain hollow point

The last ground hog I shot was at 80 yards and he took 2 hits in the chest and they were less then 1 inch apart  He was a little hog but he was tuff  :nono:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Raven42

Bills Custom Calls... Bill will you be bringing any calls to sell at LBL  I would like to buy one if so. :bowingsmilie: