• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Newbie...

Started by JDP, January 19, 2012, 07:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 19, 2012, 10:04:23 PM
Your definitely not expected or asked to bring a prize JPD
A couple of the staff here hit up a few of the call makers each year for some loot to raffle off and give away. Actually it's not even a raffle, there's no money exchanged. It's a drawing, and it gives the call makers a little hoo rah recognition/advertising sorta speak.
A few of the forum regulars might pitch in once in a while and pick up a little something to either send down or take with them.
That type of thing.
Your suppose to be one of the new guys going down to meet people and get some of that loot. :eyebrow: :wink:

I've never been "hit up"...  gawd Jim... when's the last time you were at the LBL?   :alscalls:  As far as I know everyone brings something for the door prizes.. Reggie.. (Mallardsr) is the giving-est f'r I've ever seen/known  don't listen to him.... I think he gives enough prizes for everyone to get something the 1st round!... (did I mention he's to generous?)  No shit here... he's to good a guy.  I think Doug.. (WldWldWest) started out his 1st trip giving 10x more than he got in prizes..  Guess it's just a matter of who/what you are.  Look at Dave (HuntnCarve) I've tried to talk him into coming for a couple years.. (open offering of a free place to stay) never goes but alway donates hundreds of dollars worth of calls..   What am I saying here??? You'll feel like you've done wrong if you don't bring something for the door prizes.  :wink: Just trying to give you some honest input.

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

riverboss

Dont scare off the fresh meat! :alscalls: That reminds me i need some new Banjo strings for the trip. :alscalls: :alscalls:

FinsnFur

Yea, Baxter gets in touch with several of those people, and he creates a thread to show whats up for grabs at the same time. The thread itself also invites others to contribute if they'd like. Weedwalker helps him out tremendously. There's a lot of coordination that goes on behind the scenes with that Brad.

The whole idea of door prizes, while having been shunned for a long time cause people were accusing it of being a money raiser, was initially to help attract the newcomers. HuntnCarve along with many other forum veterans have always contributed for that very reason.
If you feel out of place yourself not bringing something, and have never been asked to bring anything then I think you know the best solution for that. :eyebrownod:

I've had a hand in this several years, way back in to the PM days, and this gathering has always been about getting together having a good time, meeting some new people and making the new comers feel welcome.
The new comers have never been asked or expected to contribute to the door prizes. Like I said they are suppose to be the ones going down getting introduced, and collecting the stuff.
It's not a swap meet. :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

titansfan2104

Alright Doug, I have an android but it should be the same for any smart phones depending on what software version your running. I believe its 5.7 and later , I'm currently 6.1 I think.  Make sure you have "Google maps" not earth (although it may work on earth ) . First open the Google maps app and click your menu button on the phone and select settings. In settings it has a few selections with one being "labs". Select it and turn on "pre cache maps" and whatever other features you want. I like the measuring lab also.
THen go back to maps and scroll to the section of map you want to save "10 mile radius" try to select a point in the middle of the area you want and long press that area till it has a pop up bubble that tells you the address (even if its in the middle of nowhere) and then selfct that bubble and it will pull up the info and has an option that says "pre cache map area". Do that and then turn off your mobile network along with wifi. Then add your satellite layer to see awesome views and zoom in. If It loads the area every time you zoom with no connection, then your good to go!!! Hope this is clear enough , if not I can walk you through it on the phone or you can Google it and find videos!!!

WldWldWest

Quote from: titansfan2104 on January 21, 2012, 10:58:12 AM
Alright Doug, I have an android but it should be the same for any smart phones depending on what software version your running. I believe its 5.7 and later , I'm currently 6.1 I think.  Make sure you have "Google maps" not earth (although it may work on earth ) . First open the Google maps app and click your menu button on the phone and select settings. In settings it has a few selections with one being "labs". Select it and turn on "pre cache maps" and whatever other features you want. I like the measuring lab also.
THen go back to maps and scroll to the section of map you want to save "10 mile radius" try to select a point in the middle of the area you want and long press that area till it has a pop up bubble that tells you the address (even if its in the middle of nowhere) and then selfct that bubble and it will pull up the info and has an option that says "pre cache map area". Do that and then turn off your mobile network along with wifi. Then add your satellite layer to see awesome views and zoom in. If It loads the area every time you zoom with no connection, then your good to go!!! Hope this is clear enough , if not I can walk you through it on the phone or you can Google it and find videos!!!

Thats very cool Chad, Thanks! I have a Droid as well and it only took a second to find it just had to know where to look!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

WldWldWest

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 21, 2012, 09:01:22 AM
Yea, Baxter gets in touch with several of those people, and he creates a thread to show whats up for grabs at the same time. The thread itself also invites others to contribute if they'd like. Weedwalker helps him out tremendously. There's a lot of coordination that goes on behind the scenes with that Brad.

The whole idea of door prizes, while having been shunned for a long time cause people were accusing it of being a money raiser, was initially to help attract the newcomers. HuntnCarve along with many other forum veterans have always contributed for that very reason.
If you feel out of place yourself not bringing something, and have never been asked to bring anything then I think you know the best solution for that. :eyebrownod:

I've had a hand in this several years, way back in to the PM days, and this gathering has always been about getting together having a good time, meeting some new people and making the new comers feel welcome.
The new comers have never been asked or expected to contribute to the door prizes. Like I said they are suppose to be the ones going down getting introduced, and collecting the stuff.
It's not a swap meet. :nono:

I personally thought it was a given??? To get something ya oughta give something? I had never heard any different, and I like Brad wouldnt feel comfortable not donating something for the drawing if I were gonna partisapate in it.

seems like the last couple of years there are more and more people showing up with there hand out that arent part of the FNF family and get away with a good bit of the loot. Is it an open Cheese line for all takers? :confused: Not that I have a problem with it, just curious?

Hats off to all the Very generous donations that are given away at the drawing as MOST are very unselfish in there giving!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Yotehntr

I didn't mean to down play the effort folks put into it Jim. My hat's off to 'em for sure!  :yoyo:

Always fun to hear about the "good ol days" whey you used to go too... did you hear they planted trees since your last visit?   :laf:

FinsnFur

Are you serious Brad? :holdon:
Are you going down this year? If you are could you get some pics of the place? They had one tree when I was there, but I shot it.

Ya know what?...I take that back. I shot AT it.  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

The first year I went to LBL I knew nothing about a drawing and didn't take anything for a drawing prize.  The drawing was a real pleasant surprise and I won a couple of really nice custom calls.  It was a real treat for me, being new to coyote hunting and F&F ers in particular.  I was very much impressed by the event and the friendliness and comraderie exhibited by all.  The drawing and the get together that accompanies it was an important part of the event for me.  I have looked forward to it every year since.  Since then I have felt that it was only fair for me to contribute items for the drawing.  Looking forward to seeing all you guys soon!

Jim   
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

eleaf

Quote from: weedwalker on January 20, 2012, 04:49:43 PM
Quote from: titansfan2104 on January 20, 2012, 11:48:17 AM
Hey river boss, will an ar15 be alright ??   any restriction on mag capacity?
I'm planning bringing my ar and shotgun!!! I'm ready

Your AR will be OK starting Wednesday, Feb 1st. No magazine restrictions, but the gun AS WELL AS THE MAGAZINES must be unloaded and cased while traveling in a vehical. Shotguns can use "T" shot starting the 1st. Before that I think it's just #4 shot, not 4 BUCK shot.

You sure there ain't no mag restrictions. I thought that there were mag restriction for centerfire in KY, but none for rimfire.

I won't have but a 5 shot mag anyways. You might want to make sure.

titansfan2104

Just curious , bobcat season will still be on in TN during the hunt but I believe are out of season in ky. So if I hunt the tn side and kill a cat am I allowed to bring it to the campground?? Do I have to check it in or tag it somehow ??

Yotehntr

LOL Jim..  thought I'd try to poke you into showing up!

weedwalker

Eleaf, there is only a magazine restriction for deer hunting. 10+1 in the chamber. It DOES NOT apply to hunting coyotes or other small game. There IS a 3 round restriction on shotguns though. They MUST be plugged.

KySongDog

I use a 20 round mag in my AR.   But I haven't called in 20 coyotes on one stand yet so that might be a little excessive.   :innocentwhistle:

I have big dreams though.   :biggrin:

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call