• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Triple Deuce or .204?

Started by Coulter, December 09, 2016, 06:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I'm looking into a new firearm for yotes and fox. Seriously veering towards the .222, but realize I'll have to get into some reloading with that round. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. The other contender is the .204. I already have a 250, but it's a Ruger No.1 single shot deal. After last years debacle at LBL I want to have a follow up round or two. I already have an AR in .223, but I just prefer hunting with bolt actions.

So thoughts? comments? Pro's? Con's?

slagmaker

Take the guess work out and get both!

In all seriousness tho, I have wanted the Ruger 204 but I have no experience with either.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

HaMeR

I've only shot 4 or 5 coyotes with my 204 & the furthest one traveled maybe 20yds after the hit. I love the 204 but I went with the 223 in case I forgot my ammo on a road trip. That stuff is everywhere & in a wide variety. HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Both great choices! I to am considering a 204 but in ar platform.
My take on is since I already have 22-250 and 223 that I love hunting with was try something else.
I reload so it much simpler for me.
Its hard to beat a 223 with all the avalible loads you can buy!
But I see just as much 204 around here. Only thing is I like me heavier bullets and the 204 stops around 40 gr and wind can really play with that stuff.
A new 250 would take care of all of that and cover both ends. Good luck.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

bigben

Id go .223. Easier to find ammo and with the right bullet i have found its pretty decent on both fox and coyotes
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

I have always had a soft spot for the .222 but that doesn't mean that you should purchase one.  Assuming that it is straight out of the box ammo it will be fairly accurate, but with reloads it becomes a real tack driver.  For many years bench rest records were held by the .222.  Glen is the one in the know on the .204 since I have never even fired one.  While not really what you are considering a .222 Mag is also an extremely accurate round.  Like several have said as far as availability of ammo the ..223 is your best bet.  But I would do some reloads for that as well so that you can shrink your groups some.  Not that a half inch at fifty yards will affect anything, but that same angle at 150 yards will.

Jerry

Coulter

Thanks for the input fella's. I'm not really in the market for a 223, I already have one in an AR. Nothing wrong with it at all, I'm just looking for something a bit more fur friendly is all. With that being said, I'm not as concerned about forgetting to bring my ammo on a hunt or running out. If that happens it's on me for not being prepared. And I have done that with my .257 Roberts...guess who had to hunt with the 22-250 on that trip. That's what back up guns are for. Now if if I neglect to bring adequate ammo to shoot both guns I shouldn't be out there in the first place and will just hunt with the camera.

The 222 seems to have just a bit of an edge on the 204 as far as fur damage goes. Aside from accuracy that is my biggest concern - fur damage, I hunt for the fur. I sure would like to get both of them Slag, not so sure that's in the budget though. I'm gonna have to sell a lot more calls to pull that off.

Ammo availability is the biggest drawback to the 222 that I can find. However, it seems to be readily available from on-line resources. So I'll just have to order that way and start reloading for better accuracy. I do have a little reloading equipment already. Heck I may just upgrade some of it and build a dedicated reloading bench.

My order will be going in on Monday or Tuesday...I'll ponder the two over the weekend. Thanks again,

Steve

slagmaker

OK just my opinion and sense I have never fired either the 204 or the 222 take it for what it's worth.

I would get the 204. For no other reason than I flipped a coin and that's what came up.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

HaMeR

Jerry is spot on with his 222 comments. Absolutely beautiful round in the accuracy dept & real true pleasure from recoil & noise to shoot. Dad gave me his & I just haven't had the time to finish dialing in a load for it. If we get a warm spell here I'll work on that. I want to carry it after coyotes.

The ammo availability won't be a draw back as long as you can find a load it likes. I'm a run numbers type of guy & when I found a factory load the 223 liked I went back & bought 4 more boxes of the same number. Hard to do that online.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the 222 Steve. Just putting some things out there to think about is all. In the end our comments are just that. Good Luck!!

BTW-- If CZ still chambers the 222 I would go that route.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Cz does still offer it! Looks like buds has them!

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

HaMeR

Yeah that would be a sweet rifle for sure!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Thanks for input fella's. I like your style Slag...just flip a coin. I'll likely go with the Deuce for now and plan to work up some loads in my free time. Hahahaha, now that's funny. Guess i'll be shooting factory ammo and hoping for the best. That may just be my excuse for LBL this year. Ah heck, I'm shooting factory junk. It's no wonder I missed again.

In all honesty, I need to get back into reloading anyway. I can't get any .257 Roberts around here anywhere. I'm gonna have to reload some on my own I guess.

I did check out a CZ a while ago, I hate to say it but the action was absolute garbage. It was sticky and just just not very easy to work quickly or effectively. No Thanks. Maybe it was just that particular rifle...it was a .22 Hornet that I was looking at if I remember right.