• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Foghorn from lighthouse 8.5 miles away plenty loud here

Started by Okanagan, June 25, 2020, 01:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Sunny here but there must be fog on the water this morning.  We can clearly hear the Dungeness Lighthouse foghorn.  Google says that it is about 8 1/2 miles from here to the Lighthouse.  It is only 1.3 miles from here to saltwater, and then across Dungeness Bay to the light near the end of the sand spit so it is flat and open most of the way, nothing to block sound.

Big feed here on fresh Dungeness crab last evening.  Messy good eating the way we go at it, outside supper all the way.

pitw

Mustn't have been foggy here as I heard no horn. :shrug:

Would be kinda cool once I suppose.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

At the distance we are, it is kind of a pleasant bull-bellow-in-a-distant-pasture or cow moo sound.  I can't imagine how loud it must be to the keeper whose house is beside the tall lighthouse. 

The lighthouse was built at the end of a 7 mile long sand and gravel spit that is growing a few hundred feet in length every year, so now the light is a good third of a mile back from the end.  My boys got a contract for a water system out there, and discovered that there is an artesian well way out there near the end of a mostly submerged sand dune! 

Okanagan

The lighthouse foghorn sounded for awhile at mid-morning yesterday. Every 60 seconds it bellows for 5 seconds of continuous sound.

nastygunz

Sounds like my old girlfriend  :innocentwhistle:

Quote from: Okanagan on June 30, 2020, 09:07:51 AM
The lighthouse foghorn sounded for awhile at mid-morning yesterday. Every 60 seconds it bellows for 5 seconds of continuous sound.

JohnP

I have been waiting to hear it, but alas all I hear are the dove cooing, the quail chirping, the hummingbirds buzzing at the feeder, and at night the coyotes howling.  I must move to a more tranquil state, maybe NY or CA
When they come for mine they better bring theirs