• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lest We Forget

Started by KySongDog, February 19, 2017, 10:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

On this date 72 years ago, the Marines landed on Iwo Jima. 

"The invasion of the volcanic island of Iwo Jima was the bloodiest battle of the war.  Approximately 7,000 Marines were killed, another 23,000 wounded.  The Japanese suffered casualties of nearly 22,000 men.  The Japanese plans called for no survivors;  their goal was to kill at least 10 Americans before they themselves were killed.  Iwo Jima's importance was it's location: 700 miles from Tokyo, half the distance from the nearest U.S. air base on Tinian."

"Among the Americans who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue." Admiral Chester Nimitz

"When you go home, tell them of us and say: 'For their tomorrows, we gave our todays'." John Maxwell Edmonds

Original print of the Joe Rosenthal photograph of the flag-raising on Mt. Suribachi, developed on Guam.

FinsnFur

Thanks for that Johnny

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

God bless the greatest generation.  :bowingsmilie:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

riverboss

You got that right Pat!

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

nastygunz

Not that many of them left anymore

Frogman

My Dad, Harry L. Carez landed with the second wave.  1st Battalion, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division.  He was a 60mm mortar crewman with B Company!  He would seldom talk about his time on Iwo??  I once asked him, "Did you kill any Japs in the war, Dad?"  He said the saw two enemy soldiers run behind a rock and dropped a mortar shell right behind the rock.  Said they surely got them if they didn't go down in a cave there.  I also remember him saying he liked the M1 rifle better than the M1 carbine he was issued as a mortar crewmen.  First chance he got he switched out his carbine for an M1 rifle.  He was one of the few to survive 36 days on Iwo without becoming a casualty.  For years he had trouble sleeping.  He passed away in 1970.  They were so young!!

Dad is on the right.  His younger brother, Oliver, also served.

The Japanese bayonet and sword the Dad brought back with him.

Thanks for mentioning this Johhny!!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

riverboss

Very cool swords Jim!
Your father and brother were some brave men.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

Nice Swords. Those are interesting.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

We will never again have a generation as brave as those who fought during WWII.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs